Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Although I caught the irony of this course breaking many of the "rules" it put forth (long webpages of text, traditional multiple choice testing, etc.), I can see that sticking with the way the courses are all set up is important as well. I like the idea of moving away from tests -- although I have a rare skill (or luck) with standardized tests, I have true test anxiety when it comes to tests I study for (I blanked on my name once taking an algebra final). I never thought a test provided good evidence of what I had learned and I loved graduate courses that had done away with them altogether.

Nancy Tosh

Authetic assessment involves a holistic approach. It needs to be learning outcome driven and involve critical thinking skills, Standarized tests, do not measure learner outcomes.

Cheryl

I learned the use and value of holistic assessment.  This takes into account more that just taking the results of certain tests to evalauate a students learning and content comprehension.

There are different types of testing strategies such as content based testing,  cloze testing, close test, and multiple choice tests. 

I learned that exist some skills to a cooperative communication strategies and your own direction in the academic skills.

Different ways of assessments can be done to holistically assess the student.

In this module Ive reviewed assessment  and ways to evaluate the process not only content and memorization. 

In this course I have learned the value of different test, and how it affects different students. I've also learned about the advantages of using holistic assessments. 

I have always been a firm believer in backwards design, authentic assessments, and more feedback than instruction. I will remember to alwasy assess in an authentic manner. 

Assessment allow students to demonstrate their learning outcomes.
the assessment helps students to evaluate their learning in orden to improve it and make accomodations to continue their learning process.

The advantages of using this approach in teaching

Solomon and Schrum (2007) suggest that current educational trends based on standards and tests lean towards teacher-driven instruction while the required 21st-century skills of higher-order thinking skills, application of technology, adapting to change, and workplace skills (among others) require new methods and new assessment measures.

We have kept our educational process the same for quite some time, but our students are changing and thus our teaching strategies need to change. We need to incorporate different methodologies to help engage the different types of learners and also to help prepare them for their desire field of study.

Authentic assessments are beyond accountability and encourage critical thinking.

Critical thinking is important, but i have chosen in some of my classes to encourage creative thinking.

The importance of various forms of assessment and using holistic assessment

I have learned that many of the old methods of assessment are not reliable indicators of authentic learning.

Great information.  Testing should be student-centered and learning outcomes oriented. Holistic assessments help to encourage different types of learning methods. Traditional assessments are content specific and do not truly assess what a student may have learned. Effective learning and the forms of assessment continue to change.

Learned about the effectiveness of holistic assessment and allowing students to feel empowered in the learning process.

Widely used assessment methods & the relationship to online classes/utility as an assessment. I'm a believer in exams - especially because most health professions require some kind of certification exam for licensure or base-line competency to enter a field - but I have long felt that my exams could be "better".  While still struggling to get through this text-heavy presentation of ideas/theory/suggestions, this has been the most thought provoking section. 

Testing is necessary in some programs/courses.

Sign In to comment