Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Definitetly liked the informantion on test assesment and different types 

Lots of traditional testing captures pure memorization and does not show learning. Projects and discussions allow for students to demonstrate their individual application of the learning outcomes. 

Huege takeway..In testing the entire learning of the students is not being measured.

Another great chapter. I like the technique for critical thinking; reviewing and informally assessing students then changing one part of the context to foster student discussion. i also appreciated the focus on assessing outcomes rather than objectives. The action verb used in the outcome generally reveals the type of assessment that would directly measure student learning. If the verb is describe, a research paper is a good choice. If the verb is demonstrate or apply, a practical assessment or a project is a good choice. This chapter had me thinking about ways to provide the basic requirements of a project for students that are attempting to "short circuit" the learning, but also provide additional resources that engage students in creative thought that encourages them to go beyond the basics. 

I am learning that assessments are increasingly a conversation that elicits a broad spectrum of response and reaction. The goal of assessment tracking back to learning outcomes is critically important as is the development of critical thinking. 

I have learned many different types of assessments. 

Use holistic assessments. If technology is part of the course then technology should be part of the assessment.

Holistic assessment for students is a valuable tool that reflects true retention of student's learning. 

In graduate school, I had a professor that was Amazing. I learned so much from her class. She allowed her students to take charge of their own education and to be creative about it. We would read a couple of chapters, participate in threaded discussions and projects, and when we came to class, we'd choose something that we enjoyed and learned in our readings and we would add in how it applied in our lives or a real-life situation. Taking her tests was my favorite part and I am a student that hated taking tests and still do when they are done different than her tests. She would give us about 10 to 20 questions (Quizzes only 5 questions) and then we talked about what we learned on those topics and she was smart, nobody could ever cheat in her class, she gave out three different tests. I wouldn't cheat anyway, but I did see students who tried too. She would grade on our knowledge of each topic/question. She was Very fair on her grading. I Always did Great on her tests.

If you give me a multiple choice, standardized test, fill in the blank test, or any other type like those, I would fail and fail Badly. I knew the classes I was taking. I read the materials, did the homework, always A's on my papers and essays, but those tests killed me. They would bring my average from an A down to a B-, but any class that I am allowed to write about what I know and my life experiences, I always have received above a 100%, but you couldn't receive the points above that. 

I remember sitting in one of her classes and thinking..."If I ever decide to teach, I would use the same techniques for my students." 

Holistic assessments are great for online classes. You can see how much the student has actually learned and not memorized. 

This was a very informative module. I especially enjoyed learning about holistic assessments. Personally, I thin that taking into consideration the studnets as induviduals and the learning process itself can ultimately produce better assessments and evaluation of student knowledge.

I learned that identifying new skills here does mean content area as much as process; thinking, interaction, collaboration, communication, and application all represent areas of process. And,each of these areas is included in any process of teaching and learning. 

This topic has taught me about the relevance of holistic assessments. Through such assessments, I can be able to apply knowledge learnt from different sectors. Such knowledge has improved my collaboration and communication with other professionals.

Ok Folks, how do I plan on implementing 'authentic' assesment? Never! That is, if the definition of 'authentic' is as nebulous and unfocused as presented here!

In an environment where a greater number of students are encountered each year, the individual attention required to assess each one 'authentically' is not possible - there is not sufficient time or one-on-one interaction to make subjective 'authentic' assessments.

So, quantifiable objective measures will continue to be employed, as well as pass/fail assignment grades.  The final grades also include a general 'feel' of student understanding, but are mostly based on testing and assignment evaluations.

Now, a graduate level assesment would be much less exam focused, but those students are the least reliant on technological ease.

I learned the benefits, and potential disadvantages, of using holistic assessments for student work.

I learned that holistic assessments are beneficial because it has each student in mind.

As a medical instructor I try to bring real life into the instruction process as much as possible because this helps the students to relate and understand. I have also found that by incorporating real life scenarios in your responses in the discussion boards will help to keep the students engaged.

This section made me think more about the course outcomes and how to get students to creatively get there.

The holistic assessment approach for students is a great way to determine true learning of the curriculum. I will be implementing holistic assessment of the learning experience in my course. 

While I believe in this concept of holistic assessment, our program requires practice of standardized test taking (multiple choice) in preparation for the credentialing exam which is all multiple choice.  I do like the idea of reviewing multiple choice tests and posing different statements, changing words in a question then asking students what the new "outcome" would be.

Sign In to comment