Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Edward,

This is true for students familiar or "native" to the technology. Older students or students who have not been exposed to it may struggle at first but then respond well to its intuitive nature.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Internet is an immense educational tool in today's classroom. When I started teaching back in the mid-nineties, I took students into the computer lab at the library and taught them how to search and evaluate sources in the library databases and on the Internet. I continued this practice for years but in the classroom due to administration's brilliant idea to supply each English classroom with enough computers for each student. At that moment, my teaching changed to include the use of media from the Internet in the classroom with the ability to project on a large screen to students, the creation of resourceful websites bibliographies, and finally, the integration of Blackboard into the instruction and later, I created and taught hybrid classes.

The above experiences prepared me to teach online courses. I left the traditional classroom in 2003, and now teach solely online. I am grateful for the Internet and its educational uses!

Cynthia

Hello Tricia,

I also link students to YouTube clips in my online class for help with writing skills or understanding a issue/problem we are discussing in class.

Thanks for the tip on polleverywhere.com

Cynthia

Warren,

Good point about the information on the Internet. In my online classes, I take students on a library and Internet tour to practice evaluating sources of information. I also do not allow .com or .net websites as sources and require use of academic journals, books,and government or other scholarly publications online.

Cynthia

Cynthia,
Great to read your teaching history and long-time vision for the use and benefits of technology in teaching and learning. There is a logical connection between the search, connection, integration and publication of information in the learning process which new technology supports and which can make the learning path clearer for both students and teachers. Thank you for your comments :)

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think that the internet has brought a broad depth of instructional material in many interactive forms - especially with the new technology of touch screens and dynamic animation - kinesthetic are finally getting some inclusion.

With the internet, learning can take place virtually anywhere - on the beach, in the mall, or at a restaurant - when the question is fresh on an individual's mind. The internet is a blazing inferno of information. However, there is great skill that needs to be acquired to navigate all of the vast information effectively.

Nathan,
Not only navigation but organization, analysis and application are all required for students working with and through information.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The internet has allowed me and my design students to see the many possibilities of their future careers. It also reinforces their need for electronic portfolios and all the ways these can be made.

The internet has provided so many different options for enhanced online learning. I have used video, skype, chat, and screen share. With these tools, it sometimes feels as if we are in the same room.

zena,
So true. Portfolios have taken on new form and meaning with new technology. It also provides students with direct access and customization opportunities so that their work is created and designed by each student. Good points.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Angela,
How have these tools changed how you organize and design your instruction?

Dr. Ruth Reynard

The Internet has opened up learning to anyone who is able to get online access. This is now part of virtually most any communication device being sold now, and also allows those with travel restrictions more access. The ability to interact with students asynchronously, as well as sychronously, is a big advantage.

David,
So the benefits of flexibility and access are the central characteristics of Internet-based instruction. There is also the potential for customization and publication which raise the bar for students. Good points!

Dr. Ruth Reynard

In so many respects the internet has enhanced the instructional process through opening doors of opportunity at the touch of a button. It allows for creative instruction, connection of students and teachers across thousands of miles, research possibilities that are endless. However, the other side of the coin is that it has also expanded the possibility for plagiarism and the misuse of information. For some educators it has created a realm that is scary and one they shy away from. The key is making sure that all parties involved are informed and knowledgeable about how to use the awesome gift the internet is to the field of education to ensure it is use properly and to its fullest.

Students can now choose to use the provided materials or they can choose to find other materials. The downside of lots of research options is that they can choose sources which are not credible, or are simply misleading. I make it a point to talk about what sources are not credible and how to find credible sources- especially in health care. Healthcare websites abound and many of them are incorrect and misleading so when a student cites a lawyer site- inherently misleading- or a sales site or wiki, I have to return to credibility of a source. The younger students seem to have a harder time with this, incidentally.

Jennifer,
Very good points. It is vital for instructors to guide the discovery process and to teach regarding the legitimate source of their specific discipline.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think the great thing here are the number of tools that are also offered so that those instructors who may not be as technologically savvy can still reap the benefits of the technology itself here.

Catherine,
Yes, everyone should keep learning about technology and how it improves instruction - we can never feel we know technology as it is always changing. Exploring and trying new things keeps us fresh.

Dr. Ruth Reynard

I think the Web is a revolutionary resource in many, many ways. It is a great boon to learning for non-traditional students. But, as with any great invention there is the potential for abuse. As we in the industry have seen with the scandals plastered across newspages involving the bad actors of our industry.
Steve

Stephen,
Yes, there are multiple uses for any technology - the Internet, of course is direct and immediate, so the impact is greater. Rather than try and control, instructors should be involved in direction and guidance for students as much as possible

Dr. Ruth Reynard

Sign In to comment