Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used jeopardy in the past. Some of the students found it helpful and fun.

I have done an activity in which I made index cards with medical terms or diseases on them, taped these to the whiteboard. Then there will be two or three teams standing in front of the whiteboard. I will present the definition of the word and the first team member to snatch the word off the white board wins. We do this until all the words are gone off the board. The team with the most points wins. This is extremely fun!

Mary, thank you for sharing your successful activity. I'm going to try this one at a class this week. I appreciate your success and willingness to share it.

Michele Deck

I use a matching activity of terms. The actual term in on one card and the definition is on another. Depending on how many people are in class I either have them work alone or in a group first time around it is just to match them the 2nd time I see who can do it the fastest.

tammy, I like that you are conducting two rounds with the second as a timed competition. It sounds like a great idea!

Michele Deck

Jeopardy. The students love it We divide students into groups and have a point system. The winner earns Bonus points towards their exam. We have a lively time as students in groups work together to try and earn those extra points.

I created a game where it was labeling and the students had to label the body parts. They were in teams and we had 2 skeletons and the medical terms were placed on the cards and they had to put them in the correct place. And the first team to complete wins.

I love the post it note idea. It sounds like fun and would definitely help with retention!

Jennifer , thanks for telling us your success story with this method.

Michele Deck

As I've been going through these modules I am realizing I have used many of the activities in one form or another. I have done crosswords, matching, make a match, word searches, etc.. I really like the football and baseball games and look forward to implementing them. I also am going to try a new activity with a ball with variuos questions written on it to play catch a question.

erin, once you adopt ball game type reviews, there are multiple ways to adapt this for review.

Michele Deck

I have used a "koosh" ball to toss around for Q & A in other classes for a break in the rather routine review questions session. Can't wait to use it in Med Term. I also play HangMan. We also break into groups and draw body outlines and then make diagrams of the bodies. If it is nice outside we go outside with sidewalk chalk. Students seem to like that a lot! I also like them to write a sotry using med terms. They can write to story as a group )4 or 5 people). Results are humorous and cometimes very creative.

serena, thank you for sharing your "create a story" idea. It's great to hear your success stories!

Michele Deck

I created a terminology version of name that tune. We call it name that term or name the modifier. It gets the students up on their feet, it's fast paced, and it tests their knowledge. I keep a running score for the weeks we are in a specific anatomy and at the end of the course we tally up the scores for the teams. Losers have to bring dessert of some kind.

I have used a variety of games where students need to integrate the new knowledge acquired in order to participate.

Carmela, if the losers bring dessert, it sounds like everyone is really winning by learning and enjoying something sweet as well.

Michele Deck

My students vary in age and seem to love any game show style approach. To add to the excitement I allow them to come dressed in business casual attire as if they were contestants on jeopardy. It helps to get them pumped up and I have found that how they are dressed also affects their confidence. The break from wearing scrubs is a bit of a reward as well.

I have use Jeopardy as a game to reinforce terminology, it seems to work well.

Denise , yes, there is consensus among instructors that this is a successful strategy.

Michele Deck

The game I create the most is a Jeopardy game. I break the classroom up into 2 teams and have 1 leader from the team give the answer. The winning team at the end will receive extra credit on an upcoming examination. Students have responded well to this activity in the past.

Sign In to comment