Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thanks for sharing this marvelous idea that you use for coding. Keep up the creative work!

Every week in our pharmacy class the new students are required to learn 25 drugs each week. They are to know the brand name, generic name, and classification of each. They enjoy to play DRUGO - a spin off of BINGO. Also jeopardy is a great chapter review game that our students enjoy.

DRUGO and Jeopardy are great review activities that involve multiple methods for learning.

I have done jeopardy, wheel of fortune games for the class, and crosswords and word searches as individual activities. I've done a type of Draw a Term, but I've done the drawing and had the class guess.

Many of the games mentioned in the Moduale have already been incorporated, but some others have not been tried. Crosswords and pictionary are always a favorite.

There are many things we can get from the dollar store that can be used in class. There is this baseball game that has the 3 mats and pitching stand. The instructor throws out a question and the game is played just like baseball. It gets the students up and moving. You do need a good amount of room to play.

I have had my students perform a play on the history of medicine.

I have used an activity called "mind mapping". I have the student utilize what they have learned in class and draw as a group what they have learned. They seem to retain so much more than doing no activity.

Shannon, I'm sure you have seen the benefit of involving students both individually and as the entire class. Each has their pluses and can benefit learners by increasing their memory of the content.

I hope you have one or two new ideas you can incorporate. Have a wonderful New Year!

Thanks for sharing your idea. I outline the way I have used baseball and football in course 311. I appreciate your creativity and willingness to share what has worked for you.

I bet that was quite a play, Tracy. I also am sure your students really learned that content after interacting with it in active ways. Thanks for sharing your idea, I appreciate it!

I have heard of the benefits of mind mapping.

I have used games like jeopardy, and scrabble - in Spanish - to assist in the learning process.

I am often inspired by watching my two daughters learn.

Role playing is a method that has worked for me. Form teams of two - a "nurse" and a "patient" (rotate teams for each lab) from a list of approved procedures the "nurse" must explain the procedure to the "patient". If the "nurse" is 100% correct then the procedure may be preformed. (under the direct supervision of the class instructor and lab instructor) then reverse roles.

I have used charades before for body movements. I had the students each come up with the body movement and they acted them out and the class had to guess. I like the idea of giving them the term and having them act it out. Jeopardy is always fun. It is amazing how competative some of the quieter students are.

We have used flash cards in class as well as our own version of 'Jeopardy' where the students 'buzz' in for prizes.

I have asked my students to draw and label their own diagrams etc.

i've only taught it one time as a last minute decision to help my school in time of need

Sign In to comment