Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the past I created something called a "shift-off" and the students really enjoyed it. They were given a patient scenario and had to shift left or right according to a shift that occurs in our bodies to the left or the right. It was kind of like musical chairs and really fun!

Jacquie, I love this! Thank you for sharing your idea.

Michele Deck

I mainly use Jeopardy and Lingo (bingo) to review. I also encourage the students to use the review games that are included with their textbook's CD, along with a website that allows them to enter their vocabulary terms/definitions and it creates review games for them to use. At times I use a concept like the whole brain organizer, but not with the grid. I will have to try that next time.

Jody, have you always called it Lingo? I like that in comparison to bingo.

Michele Deck

Yes, though I can't take credit for it, it was called that in an older Chabner's instructors manual for her textbook, The Language of Medicine. I place vocabulary terms (or combining forms and suffixes) in each block, then call out the definitions.

Thank you it's really fun!

I too love the idea of having students come up with their own games. This could probably be made into a project idea as well. What are some of the best games they have come up with?

I have used a form of make me a match cards with pharmacy terminology highlighting key words of the definition as some definitions are quite lengthy. This makes it somewhat easier for the students to remember which term goes with which definition.

While teaching body positions (supinate/ pronate) and directions (medial/ lateral) in radiology, I have each student write out the words to a line dance in medical directions. Once they have the words down, the entire class has to follow these directions and guess what line dance they are performing. After the correct dance is identified, I play the song and the whole class does the dance. Hilarious and educational all at the same time.

Kelli, this is such a terrific, engaging and fun way to teach this content. Thank you for sharing your how to.

Michele Deck

We have used jeopardy with excellent success.

In the past I have used Jeopardy. Students are put into teams and review for a test in this manner. Everyone earns extra credit points based on what their teams scored and participation.

I have used crosswords, word search, role playing, drawing a picture, bingo and jeopardy. The students seem to respond to these activities as it gives a break from lecture.

Angela, participation points are as essential as correct answers, I like that!

Michele Deck

I encourage my students to utilize the CD at the back of their book.

Lani, this is a good practice. Sometimes students have not opened or explored the resources that come with the book.

Michele Deck

I think asking them to create their own game helps them to take even more ownership/control over their learning and motivates them to excel.

Mary, giving responsibility to each and every learner will build their skills and serve them well when they graduate.

Michele Deck

Thanks for this idea, Nannette. One of the most difficult things for my students is breaking the medical terms down into prefix, root, combining form, and suffix. Definitely going to try this activity!

I have used BINGO. Students fill the boxes with key terms. I then call the definitions not the term. They appreciate the challenge.

Sign In to comment