Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have used jeopardy and hangman, but will try charades as an icebreaker.

We have used a game for spelling terminology. Two teams compete by coming to the board and attempting to spell the word. Whoever spells the term correctly the fastest wins. The team wins when they get the most words spelled correctly.

Do you notice competition is a great motivator. Continue to use it to help students learn.

i have used the game tabu, or in the old days it was called password. The students really have to search for their own explanation of a term using their own words to describe it. i don't allow them to say opposites, or sounds like during the game. It lets me know how well they comprehend the material also.

Some of these games actually do work rather well with larger groups, especially Jeopardy or a game where you can get get everyone involved. It just boils down to having bigger teams and needing to make a game with more questions so that everyone is involved.

I have to agree with this as well. I have come across numerous MA students who just despise crossword puzzles. For those who do I have asked them to just answer the questions at the bottom of the puzzle instead of actually filling out the blocks or puzzle itself. They can still learn from just answering the questions and then it doesn't have the feel of actually doing the puzzle for them. They do love the role playing or critical thinking aspect though. I like giving them certain situations that I have come across in offices I worked at, and asked them to handle the situation. I either break them into groups to discuss how they would handle it and come to a decision, or I ask them to write something for me. They seem to like the challenge of figuring out situations like this and they enjoy these because there can be more than one right answer and they know they are practicing for real life situations.

I have created my own Jeopardy game with index cards. My headings are different body systems, then my questions pertain to terminolgy associated with each system. I know there are Jeopardy templates but I have the students each do two cards.

I have used Jeopardy, hangman and word surgery in the past. All with differing results from the students.

Bradley, one thing is for sure when we teach a variety of people. You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can try to please most of the people most of the time. I find involvement does that...it teaches most of the people most of the time.

I used the TEAM A and TEAM B competitive format. Using a Jeopardy-type answer, the students would reply in terms of questions--such as in the actual game show. The team with the most correct questions would receive a treat, such as a candy bar or granola bar.

Students love Jeopardy like games because they know the rules already and it is a fun format for quiz or test like questions. Keep up the good work, Loretta!

I divide the pieces of a scrabble game into two bags. There are only a couple of letters that are not duplicated i split those evenly.

I divide the class into two groups. One person is responsible for writing the terms and another writes the definition. One will be the speaker.

They are given about 40 minutes to make as many medical terms as they can possible make with the letter tiles.

When time is up. The two teams compare the terms. The team with the most terms and correct definitions wins.

Using an overhead, I project a diagram of the skeleton onto the white board. The students line up into 2 rows of equal numbers. The 1st ones in line gets a dry-erase marker. I read the name of the bone, & they run to the board & label that part with the marker. Which ever person labels it & spells the part correctly gets the point. They then give the marker to the person behind them & we play on. If the person does not label it correctly or misspells the part, they do not get the point. At the end, we tally the points, & the team which got the most points all get a "prize". The non-winners get a "consolation" gift.

This sounds like fun and reinforcement at the same time. What a great combination!

Great idea for teaching and reinforcing both anatomy and medical terminology!

Great idea for teaching and reinforcing both anatomy and medical terminology!

With the material included in the DVD of the book, I use those questions in a Jeopardy format with teams of about 4 or 5 students. It works smoother to give one question to one group at a time with the Final Jeopardy question open to all the groups in a "winner take all" finish.

I have used a game similar to jeopardy, even my skeptical students who claim they "don't like games" actually try and get into the competition. When I announce the date of the game and the reward for the winning team, it motivates the students and they seem to put more time into studying.

I never force learners to participate in anything they are uncomfortable with, but I find if they have a choice, many of them get into the competition, too, Stacy.

With coding dx and procedure codes I bought large
matts used for a child's room to cushion a fall. I made templates of numbers and made them in two colors. I then have teams. They are both given the same written verbage and the first teams to find the right code and assemble it in front of the class wins a point.
We do about 5 to 7 of these for an activity.
I beleive this could be used with medical temonology also.

Sign In to comment