Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Tina, thank you for applying this idea to your class immediately.

Michele Deck

I have created a game called “Dollars”. We use this game when we are reviewing for our Terminology Exam. I put definitions on the board that have blanks in the definition. I divide my class into small groups of three to four. The students need to write down the words that are missing and if they get it right they pull a dollar bill out of a bowl. The dollar bills are play money and in different increments. I like playing this game because a lot of the students always get the right answers and when they pull out different dollar amounts from the bowl, neither team knows who is winning or losing until the end.

Stephanie, I like that no one knows who wins in your game until the end. This helps to foster friendly competition, not cut throat competition. Thank you for sharing your idea.

Michele Deck

I have used Jeopardy as a learning activity. My students love to divied up into 2 groups and play against each other.

Split the class into teams. Giving each team a white board and marker. Each team has a designated writer and will rotate that position with each question. I ask a question about a subject we have learned in the passed. First person to show me the correct answer will come up to the board and will choose an index card. Behind the card is a medical term. The student must match the term with the correct definition. The definitions are all listed on the board to see. If the student doesn't know the answer, they may ask their team for help, but may not be given the answer.

I have use jeopardy quit a bit and my crossword and word search packet

Stephanie, I love this idea because it is a review, it is simple and you could do it over and over throughout the term.

Michele Deck

I have used this method in my class in the past. You will have success with it for sure! My students are almost all visual and kinestetic. I had them take a learner's inventory on the first day. so I try to tailor their activities to meet the learning styles of the individuals present!

I love the idea of doing this before a test, as test anxiety is an issue we deal with all the time. The game gets everyone in a great, relaxed mood while they are simultaneously reviewing. I am a tutor, not an instructor, but I'll be sure to suggest this. Thanks!

Victoria, thank you for all the hard work you do one on one with students who benefit from your talents.

Michele Deck

I have used hangman,potato man, legos, and in the past students have come up with their own games including concentration, jeopardy,etc.

Thanks Scott, I really like the question bee approach to review for an exam. I think I would choose a few of the best questions to add to the test. I also love the post it notes idea.

One of my favorites to do is a form of Hollywood squares. Three students go up front and pick which Hollywood star they want to be. The remaining students in the class takes turns. They pick which celebrity they want to answer. The instructor then asks the celebrity a question. They can choose to answer correctly or incorrectly. The student from the audience has the choice to agree or disagree. If they disagree they have to say why and what they think the correct answer is.

I have used hangman, bingo, spelling bees,and drawing a simple diagram or chart on the board and having them take turns placing the correct labels in the correct spot. They pull the labels out of a hat one at a time.

Mary , this is a great way to use randomness for each of the students, so they have the same chance as anyone else to pick a "hard" or "easy" term.

Michele Deck

I use an ice breaker in which I have the students stand one by one and tell something memorable about themselves until all students have revealed something about themselves. The first student has to tell something about one of the students that they remembered about another student until all the students have had an opportunity to tell about themselves. It is a great way to see how well students remember information.

Brenda, this idea helps to focus students out of themselves and onto others. This can benefit them when they are seeking jobs after school is over for them.

Michele Deck

Good idea. We do bone labeling exercises on diagrams, but this sounds a lot more fun using post it notes to write down & label the bones on a skeleton. It would be a good activity to break between lecture, as well.

I agree ....we have used that for 7 years and it's always effective.

Hello Saroj,

We utilize this technique as well. We have found it to be of great benefit to our students, we have use the same technique for the muscles origin and insertions.

Sign In to comment