Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is a good idea to print it out and tape it up. It can be used on any body parts, bones of the skull, or even teeth.

Jeopardy has been one that the students love, but our students are very competitive

Tammy, just as long as the competition is a motivator, and not a de-motivator, we all win because we all learn.

Michele Deck

I've used several of the examples in this lesson. I like the new examples that I learned about too. They are all great ways to help learn the content of a potentially dry memorization topic.

Bethanne, dry topics need active learning methods to pair with them.

Michele Deck

To teach anatomy of musculoskeletal system we made life size cardboard sillouettes and had students draw out the skeleton and draw the muscles on the body from deepest to most superficial with appropriate origin and insertion

Jeanie, thank you for sharing a low cost, hands on teaching strategy. This sounds easy to implement and effective.

Michele Deck

Clicker games are some we apply in class...more gadget related games...tech junkies as we move on...

Nicolas, I know most students love the high tech gadgets and use them well.

Michele Deck

The activities I have used in the past have mainly been individual exercises. Crossword puzzles, matching definitions to terms, and having the students take a sample chart with abbreviations and definitions and translate it into layman's terminology. I look forward to using the activities that get the students out of their chairs and get moving!

Stacy, keep up the great work you are doing! I always look for a few new activities each year to add to my classes.

Michele Deck

I have used "Jeopardy" based games, allowing students to work in teams to earn points and "win" based on their knowledge of terminology. I find it really helps them learn the material and encourages them to study hard.

I have also used examples and pictures to encourage understanding of the materials. I try to either give a picture or give an example to relate to most terms, so students can associate these examples with the term, encouraging learning.

I also like to give examples on ways to learn the material. I will explain that "exo" means outside, or exit, which helps them associate "exo" with exit. These associates seem to help some students do well in grasping the meanings of the terms.

I have created a activity for tracing the path of food throught the body (digestive system). Each part of the path (word) i.e esophagus is typed largely on a piece of paper. The students are placed in teams the papers with the words are placed upside down on the table in front of them and mixed up and the team who wins can put the words (path) inorder the quickest. the students love it.

Lisa, thank you for sharing this terrific teaching activity. I have done this with the steps in CPR.

Michele Deck

I have also used Bingo and visual games that are included in the CD.

Lisa, this is indeed a great resource. Some educators use these resources and some do not.

Michele Deck

label body partys works wonders for my class. They do it on each other.

Jennifer, and that way all are involved simultaneously. It takes less time than demonstrating on one person in the class, then expecting them to remember it when they wer not involved in doing it.

Michele Deck

I like the game on the chabner cd about completing the structures using the skeleton, if an student answer incorrect it will break down the entire body and later we have to restart all over again helping them to attach more to the concepts and explanations.

Liset , its so great that the textbook companies are providing these resources. We just need to invite the students to use them as part of class instruction.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment