Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dawn, I agree. As you can see from the posts of others, this is a popular teaching idea as well.

Michele Deck

I like the "What's wrong with this Picture?" because it decelops good observation skills and critical thinking skills. I also like "Eyes or Ears" because patients talk all the time about this and that as you are observing and assessing functional mobility and any dysfunctions that they have. It is good to train hte students to listen but also get their job done!

Jennifer, I'm glad this is one you like and will employ in your next class term.

Michele Deck

I will be using weakest link in A&P next term, it is essential to get them to use and build their critical thinking skills. I often use case studies, but this will be a fun change. I also may try the wheel for learning all the medical instruments. Thanks!

As I read through this section I was making notes on how I can incorporate all of these in my classes. They are all exciting and can be used in my classes that I know are somewhat difficult to teach and to learn. I think my students will benefit as I see my benefit.

Holly, thank you for sharing with me which methods you will use in your next course. I wish you much success with them!

Michele Deck

Clifton, I'm so glad you took notes on those things you can incorporate and use in your classes.

Michele Deck

I like the weekest think. The weekest think, allows the students to work together in group discussions by incorporating their rationale in conjunction to their critical thinking skills. Also, it can be used as an individual test to assess their individual critical thinking skills. This could also signify the individuals level of influence relied on their peers judgement influencing their critical thinking skills.

Katherine,I like the fact that you are looking at peer influencing here. It can be good or bad in a variety of situations. Thanks for pointing that out.

Michele Deck

I think that I am going to try the "weakest think" in my anesthesia class. It is hard for the students to understand normals and if I can put a senario and see their thoughts it might help the class understand better.

Sarah, I agree that if you follow this plan, your students will be able to critically think through real world situations with more skill and knowledge.

Michele Deck

The effective communication activity is the best one so far. This activity can be used for any level student in any field. Great way to encourage paying attention to your patients, or anyone you are communicating with.

Tiffany, I'm glad this one fits your style and important class material. Good luck in all you do!

Michele Deck

I like the "Weakest Thinking" activity. It will help students work through common scenarios that they would come across in a health profession and start them thinking medically how they should handle them. I like how it will start teaching them critical thinking skills.

Suzanne, I have found that this activity is a successful one. Teaching critical thinking is essential.

Michele Deck

I like the "weakest think" as it gives students the opportunity to think critically and figure out solutions to potential problems that occur in clinical settings. It also allows students to work together resulting in intense discussions with better solutions.

Rosalie, I like the fact that intense discussion can be fostered in class and become an important teaching method.

Michele Deck

The teaching strategy that best fit my ultrasound class is the weakest think activities. It helps the students understand how to communicate with the patients, in regards to what they can or cannot say before and during an ultrasound examination. It also helps them to understand the best approach to use when scanning a difficult or mentally challenge patient. I give them scenarios that are common in the ultrasound room such having a parent in the room while performing an exam (like a pelvic ultrasound) and I would ask the groups to tell me how they would respond if a parent ask them the result of the scan or if the parent ask them personal questions concerning the exam. Afterward, I discuss the proper way to answer each situation.

Andrea, this is a perfect example of real life quandrys that each student will face on the job. You are preparing them well.

Michele Deck

I like many of the teaching strategies, there are already four or five places in our lectures and lab that I think we can include "eyes and ears", weakest think and what's wrong with this picture

Sign In to comment