Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

shaelyn, I'm glad that you are looking at where to apply each of thee activities. Their relevance to the content is important.

Michele Deck

I love the concepts of all the activities.I teach anatomy and use a similar activity when I do the Integumentary System to get the student to understand how important observation is. I really like the distraction added to the observation. I love this class and its ideas.

mary, thank you for the positive feedback about this class. I designed it to offer multiple teaching ideas in the hopes everyone could find one to adapt to their classes.

Michele Deck

Definitely the weakest think! Students seem to have so much trouble with critical thinking...it would add to their ability to analyze...then think their way through.

The "weakest think" gives students the chance to think critically and find solutions to possible problems/scenarios that may occur in clinical settings. It also allows students to work together using others experiences and discuss options to find the best solution.

Lynn, and it looks like a simple decision making activity, but it can go as deep as you want it to.

Michele Deck

Marla, I like that when used in a group, the experience of others can teach as much as an instructor could.

Michele Deck

I really like the idea of starting each class period with a thinking puzzle to get the students in a critical thinking mode. Too often they are still focusing on outside activites, and need to immediately focus on the project at hand.

I try to foster an active learning environment with multiple collaborative projects. This week, for example, the students are being challenged to create and present group case studies that are entertaining as well as informative. Each case study has to bein with a clever marketing slogan. All the strategies I've read so far seem like an ideal fit. "The Weakest Think" methodology, however does appear more aligned with my style as compared with the others.

The "weakest think" fits my teaching style the best. I am concerned with some of my students' critical thinking skills. Often times they react and act instinctively to a situation based on what they would do outside of clinic instead of critically evaluating what the best action would be. This activity would allow me to see who needed extra help with critical thinking skills.

anne, this is a transition activity that will focus them on thinking, which is critical to learn the content we teach. I hope you use this one in your classes.

Michele Deck

Jerry, thank you for describing your collaborative projects. You know that learning occurs when the students are invested with the content. I appreciate your description.

Michele Deck

Luisa, I have had much success with this method and I encourage you to incorporate it into your classes.

Michele Deck

Brush to FAME: HIPAA is extremely important in the field of pharmacy. We can't just share private information to anyone.

I particularly like the thinking puzzle and will try my best to use it in my nutrition course this week! I like thinking outside of the box and encouraging others to do so! Very interesting idea.

Charlotte, you may be surprised at how well they can think and act after using the puzzle.

Michele Deck

I always use a combination of teaching strategies particularly when teaching clinical courses to students. A combination of demonstration, short lecture and integrating simulation are the strategies that I find useful and effective in teaching clinical skills. Because the emphasis in teaching clinical courses are not only focused on the clinical skills but also include the critical thinking and analysis, theses strategies enable instructors to provide scenario or activity that stimulates these aspects of learning whiich otherwise are not possible.

Venusa, the combination of teaching methods is the formula for success learning in a clinical content area. Thanks for highlighting that fact.

Michele Deck

I would need to review the titles to be able to answer this question. I'm sorry but I am only an adjunct instructor there & just happened to check my email from a remote location today. I would have to briefly review the module to answer this. If you would like me to do so, please contact me at my personal email kimberlybarrett@bellsouth.net as I can view those by phone.

Thanks!

Using the "wheel of supplies" concept would be a great way to teach some of the laboratory instrumentation concepts, since I do not actually have the instrumentation as a resource. I could use pictures of the various instruments, or even specific parts of one instrument and ask questions accordingly. Thanks for the great idea!

Sign In to comment