Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Importance of Engagement | Origin: ED210

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Implementing Online Learning Augmentations in Hands-on Programs --> The Importance of Engagement

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Much of what you will read and even from your own experience, there is a logic to support the importance of in-person education for hands-on opportunities to learn and practice skills and trades. Additionally, there is a logic to the increased access and flexibility of online learning. However, beyond both of these is the challenge of designing education to be as engaging as possible. What that looks like will be different for every course and even every student. However, as an instructor, begin by intentionally listing the kinds of engagement you can support in your course so that you can intentionally plan for student engagement.  

Much of what you will read and even from your own experience, there is a logic to support the importance of in-person education for hands-on opportunities to learn and practice skills and trades. Additionally, there is a logic to the increased access and flexibility of online learning. However, beyond both of these is the challenge of designing education to be as engaging as possible. What that looks like will be different for every course and even every student. However, as an instructor, begin by intentionally listing the kinds of engagement you can support in your course so that you can intentionally plan for student engagement.  

Students tend to engage well once they buy into the online experience.

When students are given some freedoms in their learning environment, learning can be enhanced. It may also become more interesting to them and be of greater value. I feel that for me personaly, the more it interest me, the more I retain so why would students be any different.

Help them learn at their own pace.

What I am seeing is that most students are like electricity. They will take the path of least resistance. I really feel for the students that are really interested in the subject. 

I understand that students have different learning styles and we need to engage them with various ways to learn a skill/content. Online learning can enhance that but not completely replace the in person aspect of learning, especially with teens. I need to add more online resources and learning activities to better engage students. 

Reply to Craig Hibdon's post:Agree 

I will give them a little tid bit of information on an up coming lesson to stike the interest, Not every student is "buying" in on it yet, although I have more participation in class discussions from the online lessons.

Allowing students to learan at a pace that suits them

Student engagement that is customized is more productive in clinical application. As a Clinical instructor,  we customized our instructions depends on the learning needs of the students, level of students and areas they need to practice on. As an  instructor, we determine the student's weaknesses as agroup and indicvidaully , areas of needs and we create activities  or learning oppurtunities to fill in the gap.

Each person learn at a different pace. For the more advance students I encourage them to be a leader to the others. If the class is a combination of "in person" and "online", the online learners are free to possibly move on to the next step while the others catch up. One main key is not to allow the students to get discouraged if they're not learning as fast as others.

Being able to learn from home without having to add-on commute time as well as expenses (i.e. parking, gas, etc.) are definite outlayer benefits to online learning. However, being online versus in-person requires more from the students. For example, they need to learn to tune out the home distractions / noise as well as take a more proactive approach to with their learning.  

Involving each student in the conversation/activities is key to ensuring that they are engaged, present, feel part of the class community  and are gettng the most out of each session.  

During pandemic, as instructors we tried to replace in-person / hands on learning by watching videos or how to do specific skills. I think Nursng requires a great portion of learning on actually doing it rather than watching how to do it. What I found out despite of lots of videos/ online training, students require to see , care actual patients  and perform skills. I found out that students are lagging skills when the learning ws just online. Nursing is a very unique profession, it requires interpersonal , hands and face to face learning. 

Customized learning - when students customized learning they learn and adapt more and they become more focused and efficient. Students learn in different ways. 

Students engage more once they are comfortable with the online experience. 

I like that I can give students more options of what they learn and how they learn by using online content. I think it adds to the course by giving different learners more time to process information.

I was interested to find out that online students are learning more and becoming more successful in their classes than students with in-person classes, which is great news.  When interviewing new studnets they are always worried if they will learn enough with their classes online, and they feel that they learn more in person.  With is information I can hopefully put my students more at ease.  

It nice to know different alternatives to add to their online courese to help them engage more.  To come to realize that those students who want to learn more will definitely use the extra information that you had attached or linked to their LMS.  However, there will be those students who will chose not to do it, which is okay to know as an instructor that you gave them all the tools to be successful now it is up to them to use it and learn from it.

Students that create there own learning styles tend to be more focused on the subject at hand.

Sign In to comment