Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes, I belong to 3 organizations, the American Culinary Federation, Women Chefs and Restaurateurs and Chefs Collaborative. Each of these groups have different things to offer....certification, networking and ways to be actively involved in the issues you care about.

Wendy,

Being active in so many professional organizations is a great way to be among the first of your peers to hear about exciting competitions and courses being offered in your field. Do any of the organizations you belong to have student chapters? I believe student involvement is an important first step when training for a new profession because learners are exposed to various perspectives by professionals such as yourself- not to mention the scholarship opportunities offered by such organizations.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Bobbe,

You bring up a fantastic point, the great rate students receive when joining a professional organization! I am happy to hear this is something you are promoting to your students. Do you find many take the initiative to enroll?

Theresa Schmitt

Yes I belong to a few organizations related to my field. The benefits are keeping each other up to date on new techniques and materials as well as events related to the field. We can ask each other questions or discuss options as well as pros and cons based on each other's experience.

I belong to "The League of Professional System Administrators (LOPSA) is a nonprofit corporation with members throughout the world. Our mission is to advance the practice of system administration; to support, recognize, educate, and encourage its practitioners; and to serve the public through education and outreach on system administration issues."
https://lopsa.org/AboutLOPSA

As a Nurse I belong to many professional organizations. They are related to the different fields that I have worked in and help keep me informed of the latest developments within my field..I can then pass this knowledge on to my students so they have the most current information related to their field of study and interest.

Currently I do belong to a couple of general organizations but really nothing directly in my field. I will have to research this and plan on changing it in the future. The benefits of belonging to the organizations you are affiliated with are lifelong learning opportunities, networking events and staying up to date on new technologies and resources associated with your field.

I belong to the local chapter of American Culinary Federation. It is very active. This is a great resource to engage students in many ways. It is a direct contact with current practitioners and their work and interests.

I agree that professional organizations are a plus. It keeps you abreast of the current trends of the industry and profession.

I belong to the American Culinary Foundation. The testing and courses help to make a me stronger in my field.

Jason,

The American Culinary Foundation is a fantastic organization with many member chapters across the country. Scholarship opportunities, posted job opportunities, discounts on trade shows, and the many other benefits make the membership fee well worth it!

Theresa Schmitt

Being involved with an organization keeps you in the loop and also up to date, and sharp on topics pertaining to your field of study. I joined one, and it helped me understand another whole field of study alot better, I would recommend doing this if you can as an instructor.

Yes, I belong to a couple of teacher organizations. One of the things I enjoy is the newsletter that keeps me abreast of current issues in education. It gives me a bigger picture rather than just what is going on in my corner of the world. I think the frustrating part for me is I get word about all the professional development available but often it is not cost effective to attend. I think I've only managed to attend one for national board teachers. It was so worth it I only wish that I could attend more often.

Carol,

Yes,it is frustrating when so many conferences are cost prohibitive due to the travel and time involved. A great perk of membership to many organizations is the ability to access video archives of guest speakers and demonstrations of new technology. If the organization you belong to now does not do this currently, you may want to send your local chapter President an email and suggest a password protected area on the organizations website where videos can be accessed by current members.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

Not now, but in the past, I have belonged to several chapters of the American Society for Training and Development. I found their meetings and materials from the national organization to be of great benefit in becoming a better trainer.

Because we are a vocational school training production makeup artists, it is essential to belong to professional organizations in order to obtain jobs. Most of our graduates freelance which involves a lot of promotion and networking. We encourage all of our students to join the professional organizations that will help them continue to develop their knowledge and skills, keep up with current trends, new technology and products, keep inspired and the chance to meet potential employers. Being a member of the international organizations can connect one to our global family and create unbelievable opportunities.

Our professional organization is the Association of Surgical Technologists. They have an annual instructor workshop which is very beneficial and teaching instructors many of the new concepts that are emerging in education.

Being involved in organizations in your field allows you to stay on the cutting edge of what is happening in your area. It also allows for networking and exchanging ideas.

No I do not belong to any organizations but I am interested in doing so.

I have been a member of a professional organization since my first year that I graduated from college. It is very vital to be apart of a professional organization because it keeps you connected and up to date in your field of choice. I believe that it benefits you as an instructor because it shows your students that staying connected to other people who are professional and belonging to a organization that has the same goals as you is very important to your growth and success in your career.

Sign In to comment