Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Yes. There is a union that is required to join to work in certain areas. It is not easy to join, but definitely protects each member and helps with the way operations are conducted in a professional manner.

Yes I belong to the American Cuinary Federation. they provide good info on the culinary field and whats new and were we are headed in our field.

I belong to a GFWC woman's club in my community.
We have many speakers on various educational topics each year.There are also many opportunities
to aid in fundraisers for various schools and
organizations that benefit humanity.

I also belong to ABWA (American Business Women's
Association)which is a social networking org.for
women in business.

I plan to join AAUW (American Association of
University Women) sometime this year.

I currently do not belong to any professional organizations related to my current instructional position. I do not know how belonging to such an organization would benefit me.

I'm a librarian and am an ALA member. I mainly enjoy the monthly ALA publications for ideas on new things to implement in the library. ALA offers a number of member forums that I do not currently take advantage of, but which I think would be beneficial for me once I check them out. It's a good opportunity to exchange ideas and see what other librarians are talking about.

I've been involved with many professional organizations throughout my career, and have benefited from all of them. I think the key is this: the more our yourself (time, attendance, volunteer work) you invest, the more you get out of them.

These organizations have led to wonderful opportunities for me, and to lifelong friendships. I'd have been happy with just the conferences, seminars, career trends, highlights, and other professional materials, but have gotten so much more from these groups. They are well worth the effort.

I have always belonged to a couple national education organizations to keep abreast of current legislation with regard to education and for an idea of what others are doing in their classrooms. Being a member usually includes discounts to seminars, and can definitely be viewed as one form of professional development.

I agree staying involved in outside activities relating to your workplace can greatly help you in maintaining a good outcome.

Yes, I belong to several professional organization. The organizations help me keep current and expand my knowledge on topics of interest to bring into my classroom discussions.

Yes as a culinary educator I belong to ACF American Culinary Federation. This provides a huge support network as well as collaboration of ideas which help improve our knowledge and teaching skills.

I do belong to the American Medical Technologists and it is a great way to stay up on current trends in my field. I also highly encourage my students to pursue certifications that will include them in professional organizations, as it will help to take their careers further. I use this also as part of my professional development for my job as I am required to show continued education to keep my certification.

I currently belong to the American Dental Hygiene Association. By being a member and activily supporting them, I help to protect my profession.

I do belong to many professional organizations. It helps me keep a pulse on my industry and often they share valuable information that I can share with my students.

I am a member of a few groups in LinkedIn that are related to my field. I get information on developments in these fields regularly, and there is no membership or annual fee. I can also read the posts at my convenience.

Khalid,

You bring up an excellent point, LinkedIn is a fantastic way to stay abreast of industry trends without the added expense of fees. I find that I have an opportunity to network via LinkedIn with presenters before I attend a seminar, establishing a personal connection before the day of the event.

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

I belong to the American Culinary Federation and have been a member for the past 27 years. As a culinary instructor I stress the importance of kitchen skills in the workplace and how all of their skills are needed in the kitchen. The main benefit of this organization is networking with each other and gain inside knowledge on the newest trends from your fellow colleagues in the industry.

I currently belong to 2 organizations and am very active in 1 of them, we are able to network with other chefs and our students have had a great oppurtunity to network and meet other chefs and students by way of Culinary competitions. I have been a member since 1990, and the benefits from this association have been great.

Being affiliated with professional organizations is a great benefit of working in the culinary field. Whether it is the ACF, the Bread Bakers Guild, or just keeping up with organizations such as the National Restaurant Association maintaining ties to professional organizations are a great way to stay up to date on current trends, events, and social issues that could benefit my teaching or my personal career. The benefits as an instructor are that I can network with other professionals and use these connections to provide opportunities for my students as well.

I do belong to professional organizations and I feel like they are a good networking opportunity.

I am a member of several organizations. Thankfully my school pays for one of the memberships. It helps keep me up to date with what is happening in the industry also exposes me to how the field is going to change in the future and what we as instructors need to adjust to keep up.

Sign In to comment