Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The organization in which I am a member of allows networking opportunities and knowledge of the field of study.

Darla,

I would ask your Chair or the Dean/Director of Education to see if reimbursement is an option at your institution. Most schools require evidence of several documented professional development activities throughout the year and membership in an organization may be an acceptable form of professional development and eligible for reimbursement.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I currently belong to the American Corrections Association, which coincides seeing I teach Criminal Justice. The ACA membership provides me with access to their monthly magazine as well as access to their website which provides current, relevant information in relation to corrections.

I started this membership with my previous employer, but may have to end it as my current employer does not pay for association memberships.

Jeff

Yes, ASCAP and RIAA. Belonging to these groups keeps me up to date with standards in my industry and also allow me to work within my industry which in turn allows me to bring fresh new material to the class.

I belong to the Association of Veterinary Techician Educators. This allows me access to interactive blog forums to share teaching techniques, course content and ideas to overcome stumbling blocks for educating those in veterinary medicine.

Brandon,

Both organizations come with fantastic perks and are very well respected for supporting working musicians. Thanks for sharing!

Theresa Schmitt

I belong to a couple, AIGA and IGDA. Bboth being professional organizations they have a blend of instructors and professionals that participate. It lets you stay on trend with the industry and make bring real world trends to the classroom.They also allow networking opportunities for staff and students. The biggest drawback is the level to which the organizations can meet.

I belong to a Professional Organization and find it beneficial to me and my students. I am able to keep current on new issues in my field and share that information with my students. It also promotes a sense of community for those in the profession. It also gives you the opportunity to have the Organization present to your students to see if they are interested in joining the group.

Not currently, but it looks like joining the AIGA would be a good start. Our school used to have teacher meetings a few times a year, but no longer. I miss the sense of camaraderie and being able to talk about teaching-related subjects with peers.

The main benefit is associating myself with other like minded people and networking to learn ideas, best practices, and to keep up with the environment.

I have worked with Fashion Group International. They have been helpful in guiding my students with career paths, scholarships, and workshops. Their support and interest in our program has given me multiple contacts and resources.

Yes - I think it is vital in teaching at within the Career Education classroom.

While I do not currently belong to any dues-collecting groups, I have found a technological alternative in LinkedIn. There are numerous groups for many distinct disciplines. These groups offer networking as well as pooling of resources. I have benefited multiple times from knowing members of the groups as well as from their knowledge. Most groups allow members to post discussions, articles, and make comments for the good of all.

Yes, I belong to the NAPP, a photoshop/photographers professional organization. This group is cutting edge not only in new software/hardware technologies and their use but excel in teaching methodology in this field.

I am currently a member of several professional photography organizations including Tampa PPA and am actively involved in monthly events. I find the guest speakers provide much content that I can in turn share with my students. I find it crucial that students participate in these organizations from early on in their academic and professional career because of the possible apprenticeships and job opportunities network events afford.

I do currently belong to a professional organization related to my field. They publish periodic journals and hold regional and national conventions. It helps me to stay current with new and developing technologies and standards. They also have student chapters which I strongly encourage my students to join and participate in so they can stay update on these new breakthroughs and begin to become involved in the industry.

Yes,
I have been a member of Siggraph for many years. I have found attending the conferences (when able) to be extremely beneficial for keeping up with trends and practices in a quickly evolving industry.

Robb

I am a member of a local organization call NSJVMA, a group of veterinarians and registered veterinary technicians. We meet regularly to discuss changes in laws and upcoming meetings that could affect our profession.
I am also a member of AVTE, an association of veterinary technician educators. Both organizations enable me to keep abreast of changes I need to be aware of. They also allow me to network with other professionals in my area of expertise. We share ideas and techniques that make us better at what we do.
Brenda

Yes, I belong to an international organization dedicated to excellence in online learning.. The many conferences, workshops and free webinars are quite valuable.

Bruce,

You bring up a fantastic point, Bruce. I agree students should get involved with professional organizations as early as possible, though I understand fees and dues are an issue for many college students. Reaching out to local chapters and negotiating a student friendly night is something I have done in the past and I found members were very open to the idea.

Theresa Schmitt

Sign In to comment