Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Supporting Students with Learning Disabilities | Origin: ED132

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities --> Supporting Students with Learning Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned that intelligent people can have learning disabilities. We need to take a step back and help our students learn even if that means we have to try a different approach that aligns with their needs or learning style.

I have learned that adults need to advocate for themselves in the postsecndary setting, because they will no longer receive personalized learning plans.

Many people with learning disblities are often times more intelligent than those without learning disablities.  We need to find a way to unlock their full potential so that they can become productive memebers of society.  Approriate accomodations and modifications to the learning environmet early on can ensure the best possible learning outcomes for the student.  Furthermore, the student needs to learn to advocate for themselves once they reach a post secondary and professional environment.  This is not to say that they should be given excptional treatment, they should still be able to perform academic tasks/job tasks as that is what will be required of them as adults. 

Just because you have a disability does not mean you are not intelligent nor capable of doing great things.

I have learned that anyone can have learning disabilities, no matter if you are intelligent.

Although accomodations can help individuals with disabilities, it should not change the integrity of the task. 

This module spoke about a students' postsecondary plans and how an LD impacts their plans. Rarely do employers provide their employees with modifications. It is important students become self-advocates and focus on the strong abilities they have. 

Understand that it is not a one size fits all. There is a huge difference between accommodations and modifications.

I have never known of anyone with a learning disability to disclose it to an employer. When I started teaching, I began to see a lot of accomodations and now understand how they can help. mmore people should disclose thhis to their employers.

After secondary education, those with learning disabilities need to advocate for themselves, not just for education urposes but also during job applications.

One thought I'm having is that a common accommodation I see in IEPs is extended time for assignments, which allows students to turn work in late without penalty. I think this is an appropriate accommodation and I have seen many students succeed in a class because of that added flexibility. My wondering is, in preparing students for the expectations of post-secondary or entering the workforce, how can instructors work to gradually diminish the accommodations in preparation for the student to stay organized and manage time without them. 

I learned that 33% of people with learning disabilities have above-average intelligence, with the remainder of individuals having average intelligence. 

I was interested in how most workplace setting will not provide modifications for their employees and it made me think about what can be done to better help these learners as they transition from school to work. 

All types of students can have learning disabilities. It is important that they have them addressed early to ease delayed learning concepts. 

Having disability does not change that the students willingness to learn it is just. They  need help in some area to help them understand the content. 

I learned that an accommodation doesn't mean giving the student with a disability an advantage because it doesn't  change the integrity of the task or learning they have to achieve.

As an instructor, if I am aware that a student has a learning disability, I would try to be accommodating, if time allowed. We still have a class to teach and there are other students that perform at different levels.

Accommodations and modifications are instructional supports that help students with learning disabilities to be successful in their classes and to move forward in achieving their career goals.

People with disabilities are intelligent to.

Sign In to comment