Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding Learning Disabilities | Origin: ED132

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities --> Understanding Learning Disabilities

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

This is a well done segment and many of the attributes of students with learning disabilities are familiar to me in the classroom and shop. For many students in the gray area of diagnosis, we see people that state they are visual learners but have a great deal of difficulty visualizing what they have to do before they have to do it. These people also have trouble doing basic drawings or interpreting drawings. Teaching the trades which combines both academic work and hands on is a challenge because of this for some students.

Thus far, the overview has been helpful. I hope that there will be additional suggestions regarding strategies to assist students. Concrete tools and techniques would be greatly appreciated.

This moduled highlighted to that there are numerous learning disabilities and how they range across a wide spectrum. I will keep this in mind while instructing and interacting with students. 

I have recognized much of what these segments discribe in some of my students. I was somewhat uncertain if it was ethical to ask what accomedations they learn best with. Knowing that it is acceptable will make some things much easier in the future! 

This module is put together well and the information is easily understood and valuable to teachers.  I wish I had this knowledge 30 years ago when I started teaching.

It's a relief to know that most students with learning disabilities have been diagnosed in elementary and/ or secondary school and that a set of accommodations have been established. In that regard, it's reassuring to know that the student can share the best way to aid them in learning a specific course study; therefore the remaining students aren't affected by specialized instruction needed by the students with learning disabilities and the above mentioned student can get what they need.

Very informative module. I believe more student have disabilities but are too embarrassed to ask for help. How do we get them the help they need without the risk of offending or at the least, making them defensive?

This module was truly an eye-openr for me. I realize that I may have students than I thought with learning disabilities. This information was very helpful.

This module makes me think how I can help my students who have undiagnosed potential learning disbailities get the help they need.  While I have students that appear to have some of these disablities there are other social emotional factors that may seem to manifest themselves into learning disabilities.  I wonder if students in lower socioeconomic households are more suseptible to learning disablities or if the social emotional disarray in in their lives may be masked as learning disablitieis.  There has been proven to be a connection between social emotional choas to learning attainment.  

Astounded by the differnet types of disabilties just in reading and math.  Great information 

Great information but what techniques are available to us so that we can assist the students?

This module helped me to identify areas and students in my classroom with different learning disabilities.

This made me aware that a high percentage of individuals struggle with learning disabilities. Being knowledgable in the different categories of disbilities can help educators who are working with these individuals to provide adeqaute support in their learning efforts. 

I have learned what the definition of a learning disability is, how it can appear in students and what it hinders students in. I have learned about specific learning disabilities, such as Dyscalulia. 

I had not heard of dyspraxia before. The video did a good job explaing what it was.

I was surprised to learn that 60% of persons with a severe literacy problem also has an undetected or untreated learning disability. It sounds as if many children go through school without their disability being detected. This negatively impacts their future. I can't help but to ponder if restricted testing or budgeting in elementary schools might have an impact on this stats...

It can be a challenge to teach students without disabilities, but students with one create new challenges. Sometimes it's no big deal and I ifind many of them have developed coping skills that help them suceede in class. they may just require a little extra time. I usually try to avoid time constraints on all learnning activities, but they cannot always be avoided. We do havr IEP's here and we obide by what t, they usually either extra time in tets and labs or prerecorded test.

I have work with learners that have some learning challenges in the past. I invented different ways to help them.

Mostly having a patient affect with a smile allows the to relax and learn.  

The challenge with undiagnosed learning disabilities is that they can present and defiant behaviors, so if a students makes it through elementary and middle school without receiving a learning disability diagnosis and struggles at the high school or post-secondary level, the symptoms will be treated as behaviors and will likely lead to putative actions rather than supports. Even when students have been diagnosed and an IEP is in place, some instructors continue to address the presentations of the disability as disruptive and disrespectful behavior, rather than providing the appropriate accommodations. Therefore students with learning disabilities are often pushed out of K-12. 

Sign In to comment