Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Patrick Church's post:  well said

Comment on Erin Coopey's post:  yes please, we have learned how to diagnose the problems, I would like more information on what we can do to help these students, besides labeling the students. 

So far this module has helped learn about so many different learning disabilities. I didn't even know that many of them exhisted.

I was surprised how often dyslexia and ADHD go hand in hand; often 30-50% chance of having both.

Utilizing assessment to collect a body of evidence to diagnose learning disabilities can create a clearer picture of specifically how the disability impact the individual.  This will also make identifying effective accommodations easier and provide time for students to determine what accommodations they find most valuable prior to getting to postsecondary learning institutions.  For those adult learners who have not been diagnosed, supporting a student in connecting with the disability services office can be monumental for the student both academically and potentially professionally.  Students should also be encouraged to access supports available to all students (tutoring, workshops, writing/math labs, etc.) in addition to those that they may only be able to access if eligible (disability services to receive accommodations, TRIO/SSS).

From the module on Understanding Learning Disabilities, I’ve learned about the different types of learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and auditory processing disorder. I’ve also learned about the characteristics and signs of learning disabilities, as well as strategies for supporting individuals with learning disabilities in various settings.

I intend to apply this knowledge by being more aware of the signs of learning disabilities in students and by implementing appropriate strategies to support their learning. This may include providing alternative ways of presenting information, offering additional time for assignments and tests, and creating a supportive and inclusive learning environment.

I have come to understand that there are more challenges than what I thought. Some are minor and a person learns they have an issue and adjusts to overcome them.  Some issues can be embarrassing and need help to overcome .  As a teacher I need to be work recognizing a students special abilities and help them to rise above their challenges.

I never heard of Dyspraxia, it was interesting to learn that they have a low level of spacial awareness. I want to study more on this subject especially for students that I may have dealing with this issue.

A learning disability is a hidden disability in that it is not readily observable by others and only becomes apparent when an person is required to read, listen to, write or compute content.

It is amazing that people with actual brain processing functions were often labeled as dumb. They just need to learn in a different way. It is not a matter that they cannot learn, they may just need extra support and time. Some behavioral problems may actually be a processing or learning disability that exhibits as bad behavior. But, as a teacher, I see students take advantage of their diagnosis to get away with other issues.

Sign In to comment