Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generation Y demands instant responses, instant answers and can be impatient with looking information up in books or periodicals. They may base their ideas on information obtained in 'sound bites' with unreliable sources. As an instructor it is my responsibility to guide and teach students and show them that when one looks more deeply into a topic, and gains more information from a variety of sources, opinions and conclusions may change drastically.
The rapidity of the intyernet and quick asccess to information, correct or not, may result in impatience with long projects that require more extensive research.

I feel that technology has helped dumb down society. The students are more distracted because they have the world at there finger tips. Instead of writing down notes that are on the board they will take a picture of it. The kids today are so worried about the instant gratification that they usually do not have the insight to see what a long term benefit is, and they don't see the benefit of having hands on skill because something will do it for them. They can't spell, can't count, they can't even tell time on an analog clock. But they can find a movie on netflix from there phone.

Technology has allowed Gen Y students to obtain information quickly with a search on the internet. However, they also need to be taught how to determine the best information that is available. With technology education has to battle with more distractions while in the classroom setting.

Jeffrey,
there are definite challenges with this generation. On the positive side, there seems to be a movement starting to break away from technology. My hope is that the pendulum will swing back to the middle & we'll see them return to some of these skills.

Dr. Ryan Meers

ellen,
you are right on all these fronts. I think we need to help the students learn & appreciate the art of slowing down.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Scott,
yes and while there are frustrations the fact that they can use technology in so many ways means they have great minds capable of learning. We just need to reach them!

Dr. Ryan Meers

All the technology is great but I’m afraid it does not help the students learn to think reasonably. Technology may provide you with information but may not be teaching the Gen Y how to think for themselves. Things like common sense, manners and respect don’t seem to be a priority to this generation

Wayne,
you are right that we have a field of opportunity to help these students learn more than technology can teach them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I very much agree with this statement. Technology makes it easy to learn and find out facts about anything, but at the same time I feel that it "dums you down;" for example: GPS is great, but what it if fails? If you can't read a map, what will you do?

I agree with Jeff. When the power fails and you need to purchase an item from a store this generation cannot even count change back because there is not a device telling them how much to give you. It is sad to think that one generation depends so heavily on technology.

I see this in my own kids. They want to write as if the are texting. My youngest is in the 4th grade and nearly all of her school work is done on a computer. They do not even need paper anymore.

I feel that today's Y Gen are headed towards a time of great difficulty in our country. We have dumped all of our "eggs" into technology and have embraced this as if it were the best thing since apple pie. For instance, what if we were to have a technology blackout of some sort for a long period of time and had to revert to our basic skills in math because calculators would not work. I teach 18-21 year old young adults trades and am shocked sometimes at what they have not brought to the table in terms of retention their previous schooling. I feel our constant challenge, as educators, is getting them the help they need so they can lead productive lives and be an asset to society. I enjoy and embrace technology but sometimes wonder about the "dark side" of all this.

Sabine,
I think this is a great comment & one that you could even use with your students to help them see the need to learn both sets of skills.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Steven,
it's also interesting to note that there is an increasing emphasis on getting awway from technology. In fact I recently heard that some resorts are starting to market based on the lack of internet access. Very interesting.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Students I have now are use to almost instant communication. Technology has made it easier to get facts quickly. They are not able to endure even a half hour lecture. When break time comes they pull out their phones to check their messages. We do Web courses in class and have groups of 2-3 do labs together. Many would rather work on webs than be out in lab. Keeping the younger students tuned in is challenging. Doing what we did in the past is not going to work for them.

Technology is a great thing but many of my students cant read a micrometer without a calculator. also an analog clock is antique and unusable to them. Im afraid they are becoming mindless robots

As an early Boomer who has been teaching for 45 years, I face this problem at work and at home. I teach online, so I depend on this technology for my livelihoood. I make sure that my Welcome letter and Class Policy Letters are in my classroom on Day 1 as an announce and an email to my students. But they are seldom read by students. I have daily questions that are covered in these documents. I oversee other classrooms and just went in to observe a teacher who has also developed her Policy Letter into a video for students to watch. I feel certain that more of students watch that video over reading the email or announcement. Year ago I was mentoring a new instructor who said that she felt she had to be an entertainer in a classroom to keep her students interested. I think that statement is even more true today. Generation Y students are used to fast paced, colorful, animated presentations. Look at the changes even being made in out textbooks. The covers are much more colorful, and the layouts look more like a magazines in many cases. I just saw a new video this last week where they are making interactive books. I can see that as the next wave in textbooks, but one I would welcome as an online instructor.

My grandchildren will spend hours trying to figure out how to reach a new level on the latest vedeo game they have but get very offended when I tell them they must redo any homework that is not done correctly.

I liked the time one of the instuctors told a student to take half the nuber for another calculation, after a few minutes the student replied he could not do so he did not have a half key on his calculator.Basic thinking is becoming a thing of the past.

Due to the constant presence of technology, the Gen Y students depend on the technology to find information and answers to their questions. They rely less on themselves and their abilities and rely more on the gadgets as the orimary source of information. If Gen Yers find themselves without access to their gadgets and technology they appear to become lost and unable to function because they do not have the ability to manually search for the information that they need, or find themselves unable to remember when they learned the material.

Actually technology has made it easier to present the information to the students. I teach at a tech school and have found that I can engage multiple generations with out conflict between them. Using all the visuals I have available on the web along with face to face discussion has worked out really well. All the hype that gen Y needs to or prefers to learn through electronics or on line is just hype they Really enjoy face to face interaction with the tech woven in.

Sign In to comment