Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology has made it easier for students to work on outlining their recipes ahead of time. This enables them to look at their recipes instantly on their phones or tablets during production.

Said,
thank you for sharing this great example of using technology effectively.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think it has helped and hindered them. On one hand I see my students wanting the answers given to them, poor study habits and instant gratification. With technology these things come easy. Why should you have to learn to spell when you use abbreviations and auto spell correct.
On the other hand when something interests them they have access to a vast amount of data and can get it easily. The hardest thing I have is making the lessons into something that they want to research. When I achieve this, they usually do pretty well.

technology has made a major impact on the learning process of Generation Y. They relay mostly on easy access, barely use books any more for researches and go directly to the easy media.

Technology has made the learning process convenient for the Gen Y students. For example, conducting research is much easier. Previous generations would have to go to a library and look through endless books in order to find information about a subject. Now, Gen Y students can simply discover countless sources of information simply by using a search engine on their smartphones. What use to take hours for older generations merely takes seconds for Gen Y.

We also have many students who lack basic skills that they should have gotten in high school. I don't know if it is the students don't have the attention or rely too much on technology or if the school systems are not as strong and have failed them. I agree with Edward that it is very frustrating.

I view this as a double edged sword but generally I feel that technology has opened up a new platform that can be used to enhance student learning, it is up to instructors to guide students on how best to use the digital medium of our new information age to find answers to some of the questions that arise in our studies. While it is true that technology coupled with the fact that basic education in our public schools has become a system of teaching to the lowest common denominator has produced a generation with some sever hanidicaps with regard to spelling and grammar, we fail ourselves by assuming that this technology is merely an impediment.

I have found that Gen Y Students expect information and results faster due to their experience with technology. This can be wonderful as they tend to work fast trying to problem solve. However they can underestimate time management skills as well. Gen Y Students stay connected with students and instructors well.

I agree, But is it because we are from another generation? This may be the way the newer generations will learn because the have so much information at their finger tips.

Technology has given Gen-Y learners an incredible amount of information prior to coming to a class (as to say "they have spent some time researching things they like, thus they've enrolled in a class"). Information has been more readily available to everyone, but Gen-Y seems to have embraced it more than other groups. As a detriment, technology has also seemed to bring distraction (ie: cellphones).

I believe technology is a two-edged sword. On one side is the ease of information transfer, such as online searches and maps on mobile phones. On the other hand, spell check to correct spelling errors and tweeting instead of talking can loosen the drive to interact directly with the fundamentals of writing or social interaction. My concern is with the parents who shove a device into their pre-schooler's hands to keep them quiet rather than letting the children learn the the skills to interact appropriately with their environment.

Technology has helped keep the students more engaged in the class room setting.

Like many things in life, it has been the proverbial double-edged sword. It is of tremendous value in terms of the information available to a student and the speed at which that information can be tapped. However, those same positive facets bring alaong as baggage the impatience and laziness which they breed and foster.

I think technology has impacted the learning process in several ways, including the fact that so much information is available for Generation Y students online and via other media sources that at times it makes it difficult for students to differentiate between the truth and fiction. Many students take every word stated on the web (or via twitter, facebook, etc.) as the truth, leaving to less individual analysis. I also think that it does make the students more creative though, so it is about finding the right balance (promoting creativity and promoting individual analysis).
Billie

I think overall technology is good for learning and is helping Gen Y students be a more educated group compared to past generations. The biggest issue I have is the over use of these devices and the potential for Gen Y students to lose their critical and creative thinking skills.

I tend to agree with the "overstimulation and lack of application" observances previously posted. I also see a considerable impact on social skills/interactions, as well as the learning process.

I work in Career Services at a Culinary School, and it seems, that older generations (Boomers & Gen Xers) are more confident walking in to apply for positions in their field and interviewing in person than their Gen Y cohorts; whereas Gen Yers are more comfortable with online apps and Skype interviews. It almost goes back to the "instant gratification" concept that so many previously stated (i.e. "I've completed the application, I'm done!). There is no motivation to follow up, determination to "make it happen", and an expectation that the employer will hand the job to them on a silver platter - with no encouragement.

Does this apply to ALL Gen Y? ABSOLUTELY not! One can DEFINITELY tell those that have LEARNED that technology is something to be incorportated into life and not something that life should revolve around!!

In some ways, I think technology has improved the learning process however, in other ways it have degraded the process. Technology has made it easier for students to access information and it help instructors to utilize different learning styles such as Powerpoints lectures, simulation device that simulate procedures, and ecourses that broadens a student learning abilities. However, it has also created students that are not able to communicate in a professional manner. For example, when trying to contact students, a phone call is typically not answered. However, send them a text and they response promptly. This has led to a generation that is not capable of proper phone etiquette. In addition, because of the shorthand techniques used when texting, students are not capable of writing neither a complete sentence nor a report.

Technology that is structured and controlled by the professor can enhance the knowledge of the student.The incorporation of interactive white boards which are used with i pads in the classroom is one example. This technology has been proven to increase knowledge by including all students in an interactive exercise.

I believe that in positive sense, information is much more prevalent and available for making decisions. However, it has also hindered them with regard to critical thinking and applied learning techniques.

Brant,
this is true & as others have observed there is still a need for quick recall of memorized & stored information in our brains.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment