Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bruce,
this is so true & while there is much that can be learned from older styles, there is a lot of value to the use of the technology that is available too.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I just learned that I am categorized in Gen Y!!! I feel that I have a lot of attributes to gen X and have always considered myself part of gen X. Technology has not always been a part of my upbringing, but I have found that the students who are truly Gen Y are constantly trying to use technology to get the quickest answer to a questing instead of doing the research in their text. I find that all this technology is actually taking away from the learning process and impeding student learning. I have many students who believe that any internet sours is appropriate for formal research papers. I do not even know if many of my students have actually even been in a real library to research a topic.

To get a better perspective, I discussed this topic with my older son who is a Gen Yer. This discussion gave me two issues on how technology impacts their learning process: (1) the constant and instantaneous access to entertainment definitely affects Gen Yers attention span (e.g., DVR, having multiple windows open on the computer at the same time, texting, etc.); and (2) the convenience of technology has made it unnecessary for Gen Yers to "work hard" for their answers (i.e., answers to problems many times can be "Googled" or found with a click of the mouse, instead of having to look up the information in books); this convenience affected students ability to use critical reasoning and analytic skills.

Dr. Meers, I agree with your statement that we need to help students find information that is reliable. I give my students a list of websites that have accurate information that they can use in my courses and others. For example www.cms.org and certain medical universities, students in this generation just need some guidance.

It definately seems like it has shortened the attention span in the classroom. I try to change things up very often to keep the students engaged.

Noreen,
this is a great idea as it helps them see what sites are more reliable than others.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Perception is reality and being that I fall right on the line between Gen X and Gen Y I have very mixed opinions. On one hand the Gen Y learner in me says that the impact is profound. The technology that we have at our hands allows for instant gratification when it comes to acquiring knowledge. It's amazing how many new things you can learn in a day if you utilize the resources in front of you. However, the cynical Gen X in me knows a few other things. That same technology can be used to waste time. It can ruin study skills and study habits when people get distracted, and after about five minutes that typically occurs. Another point that has to be made is that fact that most Gen Y students will take something they read on the internet and accept it as fact. If you don't believe me try a social experiment with your students. There is a fake website on the internet with clickable links and donation pages. All you have to search for is "tree dwelling octopus" It looks amazing but it is fake. I tried this with one of my classes and they were more interested in learning about what was in front of them (real or not) because they saw it on the internet. That is a huge negative for technology in an educational setting. Finally, face to face interactions. Gen Y students don't have manners. They don't hold doors, say good morning, they can't make eye contact during a conversation. These students are entirely too caught up in the digital world and as a result their face to face interactions with others are awkward at best. Overall, I think technology can have a profound impact on education and the learning process if students are taught to use it properly.

Yes without a doubt students have access to information immediatly. So as instructors you need to be on top of your game and make sure you are stating the correct information because if you are not, students can check to make sure you
are giving corret facts.

Andrew,
I agree & along with this, be aware of some of the misinformation that is out there so you are ready for those questions too.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Because of technology, Gen Y feel the need to be connected, any instructional planning that allow the use of this technology in class is a plus for this generation. However, the use of a book for this generation seems obsolete and tend to have an impact on how much material they want to cover.

Jo,
this is true & I think through integration of technology we have a better chance of introducing them to other means, such as books.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Although it has been quite frustrating, as an instructor, to address Gen Y students; I am trying to incorporate more technology into my classroom situations.

I tend to agree with many of the other comments regarding basic skills in math, grammar and spelling. I am surprised that some of these students graduated high school without these basic skills. As a parent of Gen Y children I saw signs of this, and took it upon myself to reinforce the basics. As an instructor in a healthcare education setting, I am truly concerned. Healthcare requires extensive critical thinking abilities even with the use of technology. This is frightening to me.

Mary,
I agree that we need to help our students develop critical thinking skills as they are key skills in many industries today.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

The fact that Generation Y learners have grown up with instant technology is definitly something that I have had to adapt to but that I also embrace. Many peers have problems with students using their smartphones or tablets within the classroom setting but i have found that it just opens the door for learning opportunities. For example doing a lecture on laminated doughs I will tell them to pull out their phones and lets look up laminated dough and create a list of ten items that can be made using a laminated dough. It's interactive, opens up discussion, and holds their interest. To try and stick with the traditional forms of lecture/listen/take notes style of learning just isnt going to work anymore. Different forms of media and technology at a student's fingertips can be your ally and not your enemy.

From my perspective, I enjoy the ability to "google" answers to in-depth questions that student have during class. If something comes up that could lead to a discussion, the ability to research something immediately is something that I embrace in my class.

short and sweet, yes it has. when used responsibly in class smartphones can be a great educational tool.

I would have to agree. It seems that the Gen Y'ers are not able to demonstrate the most basic of research or communication skills. Every time I assign a research paper to a mixed generation class, I know that I will be spending most of my time trying to teach basic writing skills to the Gen Y students.

I think it has allowed Gen Y learners to be multitaskers in the best moments and disorganized frantic scrambling people in the next. It is a fine line in my classroom between help and hurt-- often I am aware that my students are texting and distracted and not using their technology for learning, but for the student that never reads the syllabus or forgets to print notes and assignments, it's a fantastic boon. good and bad for everything...

Austin,

& this is a great chance to instruct the students on discerning reliable web info from the bad.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe it has had a negative and positive impact. I find that Gen Y students are more receptive to visual education. They can't just read something and understand it; they have to watch you demonstrate it. Even then they may not get it unless they are able to record it on their smart phones and play it back when ever they want. Unfortunately for them, they can not record my demos (company policy), but they can take photos. This is my conundrum, the students are learning but they are using technology as a learning tool and a crutch. They spend more time watching the video instead of doing the assigned work. When you tell them to just do it and trust themselves, they get stuck; like the pause button has been pressed on the DVR.

Sign In to comment