Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

With the availability of "spellcheck", many Gen Y students have very poor spelling. Also, I don't know if this has to do with technology at all, or just poor schooling in grammar school, but the knowledge of basic grammar is missing. We just started using a new edition of a medical terminology textbook. It starts by explaining what a noun, verb, adverb, and adjective are! Once again, I find myself feeling old - I thought everyone learned that in grade school. Maybe many did, but have forgotten.

"Common sense" has become "uncommon sense". We had a student in the past, who did a dose calculation incorrectly, and did not think it would be odd to give a mouse 500ml of fluids under the skin. That is about a pint of fluids!

I believe this generation is more self involved and technology has much to do with it. To other generations, airing your thoughts, feelings and emotions online for all to see is much to personal. It's far too open and even hard to fathom why others do it. For example, Facebook, what type of self arrogance does it take to open one's self up? To "post" what most put into a diary online for all to read. Privacy just doesn't mean the same thing to this generation as it does to others. Technology is not a luxury, it's a necessity and is used as a tool of expression.

I feel that technology has impacted the learning process both negatively and positively. I say this because I feel that technology today gives generation Y learners more opportunity and more sources to seek information but I also think that some learners use it as a "way out" or a way around doing all of the work that the assignment entitles.

Like most things, there are both pros and cons. It is helpful for students to become accustomed to technology in more interactive and fun mediums, but the problem is overrelying on technology. Many students have lost the ability to write properly and, as others have stated, seem to look for shortcuts. When there is a process to complete, many students want to just skip to the final step instead of following a series of steps leading to the finished product.

Sign In to comment