Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have to agree with most if not all of what is being said here. With one exception. Here I am sitting at a computer typing or talking or whatever to a bunch of people I dont even know. I feel sometimes that we are being stuck in the same trap as the generation we are trying so hard to learn about and understand.

i agree fully that it seems to affect their ability to process the information .

Well, it seems to me that technology has had a negative impact on learning. Most Gen Y students are always looking for the "shortcut" to the correct answer or just the answer. They don't want to have to study or actually "learn" a process or to be able to comprehend a concept. They are quick to want to google the answer rather than research.

Technology has also set them up for failure. They done know how to speel or rite.
We end up teaching english along with automotive
Very frustrating

Harry,
you are right that they will pull out those phones as soon as you pause to take a breath. Our school works hard to try & get them to pull their heads up & pay attention to those around them.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Billie,
so true! We need to adapt to these students, yet also try to help them learn to learn in other ways. (by the way, I read your post to my wife & we laughed as our children are definitely representative of your last sentence!)

Dr. Ryan Meers

Pilar,
this is an area I have struggled in. I don't want students to memorize useless facts, yet they do need to learn & stretch their minds.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Scott,
I would agree that Gen Y still really enjoys the face to face & personal interaction. And they also have some expectations regarding instructors & their use of technology.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Michael,
I would agree that this is a significant concern for me as well. My biggest concern is with the critical thinking & decision making abilities that seem to be lacking.

Dr. Ryan Meers

They want that instant gratification. They take the easy road without learning the how and why of what they are doing will work or how it came about. They lose a lot of information that brings them to the instant results they want. Should technology ever disappear (or go down), how handicapped will they be without some form of technology thinking for them.

June,
I agree with you and I think part of the problem is that they don't realize they are taking the "easy" route. I have found that it often does not even occur to them that this is the case & that there is another way to learn.

Dr. Ryan Meers

They are not afraid to jump on the internet and look things up. That can also be a bad thing if they are on the phone texting all the time.

Clarence,
there is definitely a balance to the usefulness & distraction elements of technology.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I was born near the end of Gen X and as such, I do remember getting first computer and cell phone. I even grew up with party lines in the rural area I'm from . I tend to view things like smart phones and google as another tool or resource to assist in life. More of a convenience then neccesity. Gen Y relies so heavily on technology to survive that they don't question what they read. If google said it or they read it on a forum, it must be true. Where older generations tend to comprehend and question something if it doesn't seem right and know how to use other resources to find the right answer.

If it was always a matter of getting the "FACTS" quicker and easier, it might be OK, but many don't know that a Wiki is not necessarily written by a competent person with a degree or professional knowledge. Opinions on forums are not necessarily the best source if info and yet they seem to be the easiest source of info when searching the web. Gen Y doesn't seem to see the need to "waste" any time checking out the source of the info to see if it is legitimate. Just give me an answer NOW! so I can get back to my texting.

I agree thy seem to want the quick fix only,and if they cant get that they want to turn it over to some one else.

Both positively and negatively. They have immediate access to a informational treasuretrove, yet they can't seem put the damn thing down, EVER... to the point of agravation.

Mark,
yes, that's why I think one of our biggest jobs is equipping our students to be wise consumers of information.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Mark,
yes, that's why I think one of our biggest jobs is equipping our students to be wise consumers of information.

Dr. Ryan Meers

andre,
I agree that we have to help today's students understand how to verify their information.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment