Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Antoinette,
Talking out a scenerio is a great way to get students involved in discussion area!!

Shelly Crider

I find that role play is very effective in developing professional skills.

As an instructor at a career institute, teaching classes that take the students into areas they will not necessarily use on any regular basis (web development, for example, for 3D modeling/animation students), I constantly discuss the need to know how to develop materials that will be displayed on websites. I point out the importance of utilizing their skills to create visual interest, or how to properly prepare files - both still and video - for use on the internet. For the most part, I know that they are turned off by coding and by building sites because it is far removed from their area of interest, so I try to make the projects as interesting as possible, with research being a key component. One project, in particular, makes the student research areas of specialities and then build a web page that outlines that information in both words and pictures.

While I am completely aware they have no interest in web development as part of their careers, to know how their materials might be used or how they might be asked to set up files for web use, will prove beneficial down the road.

Richard,
Thank you for taking the time to explain why this is important in our lives whether we do development or not.

Shelly Crider

I teach them how to gather the approprate information that is out there on the Internet regarding their topic(s, then to reject the irrelevant information and save the important information related to their topic(s). This can be achieved by listening to the topics that are discussed in the class and the information that is touched in the discussion. there are boundries in which the relevency of the information(s) are very important to the specific topic.

I strongly encourage, if not require, my students to apply internalization in class. I want them to see me as their manager, the school as the workplace, and themselves as employees. This way, they are conscious of their demeanor and the quality of their work. They would not be acting up in the workplace, so they don't act up in class. There are rules and policies that they have to follow in any organization, so they train themselves to respect these rules; otherwise, they jeopardize their jobs. Promotions are based on overall job performance, integrity, and maybe pleasant personality. This will affirm that what they give is what they get.

Anthony,
It is nice to see someone showing what is acceptable from the Internet. The Internet is full of info, but some of the info is incorrect.

Shelly Crider

Maria,
Interesting concept. I, too, like internalization. I have never tried it online, but I think I will. Thank you for the tip!

Shelly Crider

As a Chef Instructor we have to spend days in a classroom and days in a lab or kitchen.
Professional skills are developed through their individual performance cooking the menu.
They have to respect each other, communicate and behave like in a professional kitchen.
They understand also their end result of their performance according to my feedback on what need to be improved in the next lab. The last assignement that they have to complete is their self-assesment regarding their performance.
This usually make them understand why their daily grade is great or just ok . Usually improvement is applied constantly making them stronger and better while building confidence and growing at the same time.

Lionel,
You hit upon a key word here....constantly......we as instructors need to constantly show how communication works and how to make it better to our students....online or in a classroom.

Shelly Crider

We talk about it's all about presentation, and more skill sets you have; the more marketable the individual will be!

I have my students work on individual and team projects together using the pc. Before they leave their 5 week mode they feel much more comforable in pc skills and on their way becoming professionals as well.

I always encourage this. We are in a society where having computer skils and developing our professional skills is no longer an option - but a requirement.

Chemo,
I like that....it is about skill sets and there is no better way to learn than hands on training!

Shelly Crider

I get a LOT of feedback from my students about Professional Skills; for the most part about the apparent dichotomy between what we as educators are trying to teach them versus what they see in the "real-world" (usually on televison.) During Ethics classes the discussion is lively and oppositional, wondering "why ethics is so important if you have to claw your way to the top of the corporate ladder." Others cite instances such as sitcoms "The Office" or "30 Rock", thinking these are viable examples of real corporate behavior. One student gave an impassioned speech for the death of ethical behavior in the modern time, citing politicians who lie and are unashed of their behavior when caught.

I fall back on standard replies about the necessity of Ethical behavior and professionalism, but it doesn't always sway the student.

As a medical instructor we teach them professional skills like taking vital signs, EKGs, injections, administrative skills like front office receptionist, Med Trak, telephone communication. plus we also refine their general skills like reading , writing research papers, presenting topics in power point presentations and role playing different scenarios in the class room.

John,
Ethical questions and real world questions are a great way to get students chatting!

Shelly Crider

Meher,
We do like to give a well-rounded education. You sound like you are doing this.

Shelly Crider

It can be difficult for students to develop or define their professional skills; because of this, it is important to me to constantly explain to them the importance of stepping out and constantly practice professionalism and ethical behavior on a daily basis. This should be incorporated everywhere, in their home, work, or school. As they continue to learn it is advised to be honest with their performances and ask themselve if they were professional in their actions. I then explain to them it is ok to make mistakes,most importantly they must learn frome it and gain insight as to what they could have done differently with the intent to improve. Professional skills is not only perform at work it is a consistent behavior that develops over time.

JENNIFER,
Good point....without mistakes, we do not learn what does not work!

Shelly Crider

My program has set a standard grade for professionalism in the classroom. The students are given a list of soft skills they will be graded on during the course and they are expected to follow these in and out of the classroom. Most of the skills mimic the "real" work force and come directly from employers we work with on a daily basis. Since this has been in place, the students have increased their soft skills and have become more aware of how they treat others and are more effective in interviews upon graduation.

I assist my students in defining and growing their professional skills by some of the following methods:

1. Students are to schedule appointments with me throughout their school career so that they can learn how to request appointments, effectively communicate through email, and meet commitments.
2. I assist students with cover letters and resume writing and development so that they are presenting themselves to future employers in a well-written manner. Assisting students with cover letter and resume writing allows me to work with them on Word and Optimal Resume.
3. I assist students with interviewing techniques so that I can identify any negative non-verbals and coach them on how to answer difficult questions.

Sign In to comment