Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have found for me that a very good way to help the students with their professional skills is to always be professional around the students. Most times when the instructor acts professional then the students follow. There are always the few that will act or do things that are unprofessional and that is just another situation where that instructor can educate the student what he should different.

David,
Very good point. I would be nice to "hang out" with students, but we do need to keep a professional appearance around them as well.

Shelly Crider

We have a Career Development course and a Career Management course that is geared towards professional development.

Students need to understand that professionalism must be intentional. It involves first impression areas such as modest dress, simple accessories, and personal hygiene. It includes honesty,treating everyone with respect, and being tolerant of non-obstructive differences. It is teaching and modeling conflict resolution that is not "my way versus your way" but seeking what solution will bring the best outcome in this situation. It is being personally responsible and tactfully holding others accountable. Professionalism is a learned attitude and way of life.

One activity that I have found helpful is to have the students print a job posting that they are interested in applying form. I have them highlight every skill that they have and then write their resume and cover letter for that position. Before turning it in, they must also highlight the items on their resume and cover letter that relate to the job posting.

Brittney,
I hope the instructor uses a lot of personal experience or the students may just see another class they have to take. I do like that they see the importance of Career Development and Career Management.

Shelly Crider

Shantel,
We do tend to live in a "my way vs your way" before we enter school!

Shelly Crider

Terence,
I love this project! This is current, hands-on work!

Shelly Crider

On the first day of class, we complete an exercise in which students write down their goals for the course, goals upon graduation, a 5-year professional goal and a 10 year professional goal. We visit this worksheet again at the end of the term to evaluate course goals and discuss the value of writing down ones goals.

The program I recently worked for had a "Professional Developement" class every Friday during the students last term. This focused on resume writing, stress management, ethical debates, interview skills, developing active listening skills, affective verbal and non-verbal communication, etc.

I am now at a new facility and there is no focus on professional skills. I'm going to discuss this with the PD.

David,
I am goal oriented as well. I love talking with students about goals. I have seen some students who have no real goal.

Shelly Crider

Tammy,
This is an excellent way to foster critical thinking skills.

Shelly Crider

Sometimes the students think they are professional but they are not and this course was excellent for professionlism

I initiate a self-assessment survey at the beginning of class. There are class discussions on various parts of the assessment. Each student then processes the information from his/her self-assessment and utilizes it for various class projects.

Shivani,
It is true that students see themselves and ready for the workplace.

Shelly Crider

Mary,
Very interesting. Self-assessments are alway enlightening.

Shelly Crider

I think the first thing is by modeling. Are you as the instructor, in the classroom on time, prepared to proceed with the day's business? Be aware the students ALL observe and form opinions from what they see. The old adage: "Do as I say, NOT as I do" doesn't work!

We strive to emphasize professionalism throughout the school year-indeed, part of our grading is Professionalism: in dress, actions, participation, showing up for class, etc.

Modeling is first: Are you, as the instructor, showing up for your class ahead of time, prepared to proceed with that day's business? Have you prepared yourself ahead of time?
Student observe and act acoordingly: the old adage of "Do as I say, not as I do" doesn't work with today's students!

We evaluate/teach professionalism throughout the school year: proper dress, attendence, assignment completion, etc.

I agree,I try to make my students understand that when they go to work for a company they become an image of that company.

Lawrence,
Excellent response. We as instructors do need to walk our walk!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment