Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Becky,
Communication is a skill that needs to be worked on over and over.

Shelly Crider

Aprilyn,
I am glad you are strick as rules are rules. We have them everywhere.

Shelly Crider

In my writing classes I make sure the students are not only introduced to writing basics and skills but also to technology. Internet research, word processing, and Powerpoint presentations are integral to assignments Along with writing and computer skills we also work on presentations, group assignments, and soft skills - handing in assignments on time, attendance, quality work, etc. Many adult learners are lacking in one or more of these areas so it can't be assumed, because they are adults, that they are proficient in them.

In a professional learning environment it is important to identify the students learning skills. I like to have each student write a synopsis about the professional goals. This lets me access there writing and there learning. It is also a good idea to gauge ones knowledge in our field with a specific class project that tests them on what they should know in there degree at this point.

Richard,
I love the fact that introduce a variety of skills. This is so needed!

Shelly Crider

Alexander,
This is excellent as I would bet that many do not even know whay a synopsis is so to teach them and have them do one is excellent!

Shelly Crider

Yes, I agree. A student can have superior clinical skills, but without the ability to communicate clearly, present themselves professionally, and create that positive first impression with an employer, they will miss out on many opportunities. We strive to begin in the first quarter with Career Development, continue with Career Management, which includes mock interviews, then conclude with an externship where students are putting all of the pieces together to present themselves as a well-trained professional.

We use to have a great course that students took prior to starting their specific programs. Unfortunately the powers that be thought the students would do fine from online professional develop. Some classes need human interaction, especially when teaching young adults how to interact with people face to face.

Meridy,
We like our medical stall to have it all!! Clinical skills and the ability to communicate with patients.

Shelly Crider

Jessica,
There are ways to get a feel of face to face. Have you used YouTube or WebEx?

Shelly Crider

Our school programs all begin with a course called Student Success which outlines professionalism for the student. In addition, there are posters hanging in every hallway and classroom with the same outline. We have a business class toward the end of the program that brings in actual employers to perform mock interviews with the students in order to give them feedback about how their professional skills are coming along. The students are also required to do service learning and student clinic rotations with the public to fine tune their professional skills. Finally, we have a strong career services department which guides and assists students with final the final polish as they go out to actual interviews.

Karis,
I like the fact that you have a topic that you follow throughout the student's school life. Good job!

Shelly Crider

Our school has a career success class and also offers periodic seminars to the students regarding such topics as resume writing, interviewing skills, professionalism, etc. There is also a research paper or presentation assigned in every course. These usually start off quite shaky but by the time the students have gone through all their didactic courses, their research, writing, and presentation skills are very strong.

For presentations my students are required to come in professional dress and presnt to the class as if they are presenting in a professional setting. I have found that the students actually enjoy this and their presentation scores are better as a result. This helps them to prepare for the workplace.

At my school , we have implemented into our curriculum courses designed for developing a student's professional skills like for example:
Conflict Resolution, Working in Teams, Co-Worker Relationships, Professional Dress, Accountability, Professional Courtesy, Professional Writing, Speaking, etc. I always consider it's a good idea to inform the students about today's employers expectations. I also like to encourage my students to do some job search online , to find out what today's employers expect from their employees. The students should understand while in school what's out there in the real world, and what employer's will expect from them.

Allyson,
Seminars are a wonderful way to soak up resources.

Shelly Crider

Laurna,
I agree. I think students feel a part of the work world when they are dressed in the professional clothes.

Shelly Crider

Sebastian,
I love this! We sometimes get very comfortable in our ways and forget soft skills.

Shelly Crider

Not only do I like to lead by example, I like to discuss behavioral issues as they arise and ask students to discuss how the behavior can be turned into a professional example. We work on roll playing for professionalism, having students act out a professional way to handle something vs an unprofessional way to handle it. These skits are videod and presented in class.

Donna,
You will get more discussion involvement when you do discuss current issues at hand.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment