Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Lawrence,
How can students really learn from us if we are not organized!?

Shelly Crider

Timothy,
That is a bit hard for some students to understand, but when you back it up with your own experience...great work!

I like to use case studies, from my students actual jobs. They discuss professional behavior they have witnessed on a current job or one that they previously held.

This brings the real world into the classroom, and students feel engaged with the objectives.

Professional development is incorporated in all courses within our curriculum. In addition to classroom discussion, role-play, and teaching effective communication skills, we hold students accountable for their actions that could hinder employability. Holding students accountable assists tremendously in helping students identify the self-awareness component required in order to communicate effectively and professionally. It also provides opportunity to allow students to reflect on and identify what would be a more appropriate/professional response and how the outcome would differ. I have found that professional development must begin early and must be consistent throughout their matriculation in program of study.

Anne,
We need real world in our classes! Good job!

Shelly Crider

Wendy,
Holding students account for anything and everything is a major plus!

Shelly Crider

At our school we actually hold students accountable with a professionalism grade. This grade encompasses a number of details such as: attendance, following rules, personal appearance, etc. So in conjunction with teaching professional skills and holding students accountable, the combination usually leads to a good outcome across the board. It helps prepare students in many different aspects for what's to come after post secondary school.

Jason,
Students my grumble, but in the end this really helps them!

Shelly Crider

At our school, our students take a Professional Development Class at the beginning of their course of study and they take a Career Management Class at the end. Our students also do portfolios in each class so that they are able to articulate what they have learned in each of their classes. Our students also take part in externships where they must interview before an employer and perform anywhere from 90-160 hours with that employer.I encourage my students to look upon this as a 10-12 week apprenticeship. Many do get hired by the externship site.

Ruth Ann,
I like that it is being offered at the beginning of their program!

Shelly Crider

I believe that leading by example will assist in this area initially. How you present yourself to your class will ultimately let them observe professionalism first hand. This I think could be a variety of things, from how you dress to how you speak, to being on time for class.

James,
Very good, and along the way maybe a guest speaker who is professional would be of help as well.

Shelly Crider

We really push professionalism where I teach. The students are required to meet our dress code and receive Professionalism downgrades and send home for the day if they don't. Unfortunately many younger students struggle to see the value in appearance and how you present yourself. With the addiction to texting and cell phones many young people struggle just to talk to someone face to face as well. It really is sad to see.

I love the idea of a Student Success Course. At my school, there is a need for a course directed towards how to be professional on the job. Alot of students are not taught what exactly "being professional" mean. A course that is geared towards professionalism is a great start. Alot of our students are entering the workforce right after college with no clue as to how to act, what to wear, how to act on the job, etc? I mentor my student's and often relate the things they do in class to real life situations. For example, I have a student that comes to class late everyday, turns assignments in late, dress attire isn't up to par. I often remind my class that in the "Corporate America" you don't get multiple chances to get it right. First impressions are lasting impressions most of the time. I try to tell them them that coming to work late and not completing your work in a timely manner can lead to poor job raises, no bonuses, no promotions, potential firing. My student's have come along way and I do believe it's because I constantly stay onto them about the "Real World".

Jasen,
Good point on the use of cell phones. My children would rather text than call as well.

Shelly Crider

Raven,
I would try to speak with your Director of Curriculum and see if you could add a class or add professional skills as a topic in various classes already set up. It is well worth it!

Shelly Crider

In addition to uniform and professional standard policies, instructors discuss the importance of soft skills in each class. Sometimes students do not understand the reason behind soft skills and just view being on time, in uniform, etc. as another "rule". When students understand how the soft skill is a benefit to them, they are more likely to acknowledge the purpose.

Jae,
Most students do not like "rules".....they are made to be broken. So we as instructors need to show the why behind the rule!

Shelly Crider

We have a job development class that is taught in the senior phase. Up until that time, we impress upon the students that there is a reason for everything that we require at school as these things are also required of them in the workplace. In this way, we are encouraging the students to carry this professionalism into their careers.

First of all, I teach at a technical college that stresses professionalism and does a great job with their "student success" type courses.
In my own classroom, on day one, I have students read, sign and date a classroom contract which lets them know exactly what the expectations and consequences are.
I started doing this a few years ago because almost every class seems to include some who sorely are lacking in the soft skills (respect, courtesy, following simple classroom rules etc).
We do address this subject during the semester if the need arises.
My hope is that they realize that it is not just a subject grade that is important, but the impression that they make is of equal value.

Sign In to comment