Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At the school where I work, we do have a student success course which teaches them everything from preparing their resumes to how to dress for an interview, how to carry themselves professionally, how to address the person interviewing them, etc. It works too.

Lisa,
I like how you say "a reason for everything" as that is so very true!

Shelly Crider

Chris,
Excellent job on the classroom contract! I hope you add goals for the students on that as well.

Shelly Crider

Jose,
I love this! Especially how to "carry" themselves as this is something lacking in our society!

Shelly Crider

One tool I use to help develop my student's professional skills is through a very specific "Research - Writing - Presentation" project. I hand out 7-8 different topics, each with specific questions to research and answer in their own words. Then the students will present their topic to the entire class. If they wish, they can present with another student. If I feel one student is dominating the presentation, I may ask questions to the non-dominate student.

Many different goals and skills are addressed with this; computer research, learning about our course topics, writing skills, presentation skills, teamwork, quoting and/or paraphrasing other peoples work in their projects...

David,
I like this project!!! This actually might just open doors for students to seek other areas they never thought of!

Shelly Crider

I help students define their professional skills by leading by example. I exemplify what a professional is suppose to look and act like. Students must speak, dress, and carry themselves in a professional manner at all times. (They never know who is looking at them.)

Maya,
Thank you for leading by example. For most "seeing is believing"!

Shelly Crider

I work through the whole program explaining what the internship sites will expect of them. How they will ultimately get the job based on their professionalism, their desire to learn and grow and their communication skills. We work with the students on all levels including group projects, written communication and role playing. I believe that the role playing motivates many of the students to understand what is ultimately expected of them.

Amy,
Role play is an awesome way to get students to see what is really out in the work place!

Shelly Crider

Determine what are professional skills in the industry they are going into and teach and maintain that standard in the classroom.

I expect students to present their work at the end of every term in a professional manner in every core course. When Merchandising students graduate, they are very prepared to present their ideas and in most cases, interview well.

Susan,
Excellent job. I like the cofidence you have in your students as this will increase their confidence even more!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment