Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Luckily, I get the students at the beginning of their programs in a course called Career Development. I have found it to be easier at that point to help them put into words their professional skills. We work on developing their resume and cover letters which they will update and use at the end. During this process, when they don't have yet the skills they will learn from their programs, I have them write down a list of the things they have done in previous jobs. We then take them and translate them into transferable skills, which are their professional skills. Then we are able to work on the skills where they feel they are lacking.

Carey,
This is good to read! So many students are lacking in soft skills!

Shelly Crider

Brianne,
Love this! I especially like to hear you state you help with effectively communicate through email. This is so important in our society!

Shelly Crider

Travis,
What a great idea! Having students write down what they have done and what they will be doing, really makes them think about career!

Shelly Crider

It's something that has to be stressed daily to the students. I try to present a professional example, in the way I address each student, other instructors, staying OFF the cell phone while in the lab, etc. It's an on-going process.

As a medical assisting instructor, I have to stress to my students that it is very important to have professional skills. The reason for this is because we deal with the direct public. So, I tell them on the first day of class to pick flaw that they are aware they have and try to change it within 5 weeks. Then I ask them to fine a professional skill thet feel they are good at and perfect it.

In our school, each teacher constantly stresses that the student must act professional in every aspect. This is done from the first day of the first class, to the last day of the last class. Being professional is definitely the key to whether you get that "dream job" or not.

Richard,
I love professional examples! Staying off the cell phone....perfect example for students!

Shelly Crider

Terry Marie,
It is good to have students point out their good qualitites as many do not know what their positive attributes are.

Shelly Crider

Esther,
Good point.....whether you are in your perfect dream job or in a job that is not the best....we have to be professional.

Shelly Crider

At our school, we have a professional development course (which I don't teach) where they refine these skills. For my part, I try to emphasize in all of my English and communications courses how important professionalism is and how it is conveyed through words, dress, actions, reactions, etc. I also try to model the behaviors that I hope they will take with them upon graduation.

I have developed as an educator by understanding that all students learn differently. I use reading/writing/hands on and lecture to try to capture all students learning preference.

I think it is important to lead by example. I tell them about my job and how I can help others reach their goal. I teach Criminal Justice classes however I am a police officer and give them real life examples.

Motivating them to role play. and to have confidence in themselves

In todays professional environment it is critical to develop the "soft skills" withing the professional skills. We know how we like to be treated, well others feel that way too. We must use thease soft skills to manage up the corporate ladder as well.

We have a student success course that gives them an idea. When I teach this class I try to put alot of personnal experiences into it. I also try to bring in guest speakers from a variety of places to help show them what certain employers look for in an employee.

Students can define their professional skills by practicing over time, and perfecting their skills. Being presented with a challenge is also a great way to help students become more involved to apply their prior skills that they've learned.

Kim,
This is nice as many students think they already know what makes a professional!

Shelly Crider

Kathi,
Indeed!!! Leading by example is just what students want to see!

Shelly Crider

Emily,
Confidence is needed in every aspect of life. Excellent job.

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment