Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As an online instructor, I believe we need to be able to take advantage of the technology available to communicate with students. For me, one of the key aspects of focus is the way I provide them feedback on their assignment. A thorough approach that helps them understand what they did well and what needs to be improved in their assignment is a key aspect of clear communiction: I want to make sure students understand the message and can use the information to improve their work. The same applies or at least should apply to work environment: effective communicate is essential in order to achieve specific goals. Also, the whole concept of feedback is important: what is communication is we can't measure is effectivness. In other words, effective communication should be linked to the achievement of a goal.

Robert,
There are many programs out there that are free to use in order to get in touch with the students. Skype is one of these.

Shelly Crider

I teach all IT/Computer classes and I help students learn the value of effective communication through simulated, real-world scenarios. For IT professionals, most of our communication is with colleagues on the “business” side of the job. We have to convey IT needs to Managers (in plain English), translate the needs of the business into realistic and cost-effective IT solutions and know when we can talk “IT” and when we cannot! Many of my assignments include two-part answers: one where the students (or teams) must write an IT solution to their Senior IT Manager and two where they explain the same technical solution to a business manager.

I like to share experiences that I have had with my students so they can see the importance of effective communication. Written communication on resumes and cover letters can get you a call back for an interview. Communication with your boss or co-workers can make your career more rewarding and successful. Poor communication in a the hospitality industry can result in bad experiences for guests, which can ultimately affect your business!

Krista,
Excellent point. Technology is a must know for students, but yet know to how to speak to whomever is in front of them.

Shelly Crider

Courtney,
Personal experiences, good and bad, are excellent way to really get students involved. They like to hear stories from the "real" world.

Shelly Crider

communication is so important in the medical field and when working with students in the medical lab they have to communicate everything they will perform on the patient so we are constantly going over and repeating skills to make sure the studnet not only communicates to the patient but understands the importance of the communication that you need to give to the patient so the procedure is being done right.

cindy,
Oh so true. There are several tests that have very similar names, but test for totally different items. Communication between provider and nurse is a must.

Shelly Crider

I emphasize to my students how verbal and non-verbal (body language) are both important. Interpersonal communication skills is important when working with patients whether it be retail,institutional or hospital setting. Body language, such as putting hands on hips or rolling of the eyes will NO DOUBT make a patient feel they are not important, you have no interest on wat they have to say. Personal issues stay at the door before coming into work, just as work issues stay at the door before returning home.

Amy,
It seems that eye rolling is the latest and greatest non-verbal communication. Yes, it has always been around, but lately it seems to have become very popular!

Shelly Crider

I would illustrate to my students the value of having effective communication skills by conveying to them active listening. Listening acquiring interest in the subject, responding intelligently,open minded, and your level of communication will be effective.

The way I explain it is that they may be doing a skill with their hands to fix something, but if they have to speak to the customer and use inappropriate language or don't speak clearly then the customer may feel this is how they repair things also.

Dell,
Communication is everything! We do need to stress the consequences of not being able to communicate.

Shelly Crider

A large part of teaching is about being able to communicate effectively to everyone in the classroom and when effective communication is missing, teachers can misunderstand or be ignorant of student’s needs and expectations. These are some ways that can be taken by my students the value of having effective communication skills:
1. Assume the best of everyone.
2. Operate with the assumption that everyone has the students’ best interests in mind.
3. Remember that effective communication is the key to having your suggestions and ideas heard and taken seriously.
4. Keep a positive attitude.
5. Take time to say “hello,” and listen to others as much as possible.
6. Practice empathy and understanding.

I think however you communicate your body language is important, because you can express yourself in a positive or negative way and the person or customer will feel the energy.

Joe,
This is so true! What you "see" is what you "get"....or at least that is what the customer thinks.

Shelly Crider

Ali,
Be sure to use a name when you are speaking or writing to someone, even if it is a response.

Shelly Crider

Dell,
Oh so true....what is it that you see when you first walk in to a funeral home....a nice quiet man/woman holding the door for you speaking in a soft voice.

Shelly Crider

I provide presentations and one on one assistance to students on verbal and non-verbal effective communication for job interviews. Verbal communication is important for job interviews and I conduct mock interviews with students and apply active listening then provide them with feedback. For non-verbal prep I coach students on body language, shaking hands, and eye contact during interviews. I also coach students on communicating professionally via email with employers. Effective communication is extremely valuable to job seekers because the interview is the most important piece of the hiring process.

Lissete,
So many times people, not just students, miss the body language. Thank you for prepping on this!

Shelly Crider

Sign In to comment