Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Shannon,
That is a good practice that will have a payoff in the end. Keep up the good work.
Philip Campbell

Connecting a classroom to the real world can be the most difficult, mainly due to the lack of
upset customers. Acting like an upset customer to a student can cause a reverse effect on learning.
Whats the best way to make them understand the real world, without being a "rude customer"?

Positive attitude, listening and providing encouragement in a non-threatening environment are essential for me.
Marian Urbancsik, BSRN

Motivating students in a given classroom requires an assessment of each student, sooner rather than later. Once an instructor has a feel for each student, he/she is better able to calculate a method to motivate each member in the classroom.

Mariann,
Keep providing encouragement for your students.
Philip Campbell

I find incorp. "real world" personal experience with a bit of humor keeps my students interest and more aware that everyone is human, mistakes are made and with those mistakes, lessons are learned.... and ultimately shared!

I usually come into the classroom or start my clinicals observing my students a few minutes. At times I have seen and felt negative vibes, so I decided to always start my day with some positive phrases, with a lot of enthusiam. And since then that I noticed that they are more attentive and engaging thereafter. I love how my day starts in class and my students love it. And if at times I forget, they are the ones that remind me of that early routine saying,it is great to start their class with some motivation to keep them going thru out the day.

I usually share my real world experiences, I ask my student what it is that is hindering them ,once I find out , I then focus on motivating them by sharing a story of a past experience about myself or someone else that pertains to what they are dealing with. I almost always have success with this.

One technique I have used to motivate students using their emotions (aka 'the human condition)is by introducing "positive stress" in the classroom. Negative stress would be counter-productive, but knowing that humankind typically reacts to positive stress through emotional response (that includes physical and chemical changes in the body) - I can take a class that is somewhat subdued....and get them to react quickly in a productive manner.

As a corporate executive in a past life, I used the same technique to get employees to reflect on themselves and find that hidden potential that yielded extraordinary results. It works, if used in moderation......

I try to make them understand how they can turn classroom learning into a real life experience when taken to lab.

I try to start each lecture with a real life example of a situation that requires the information about be presented. I then invite the students to share any similar stories or experiences they may have had.
These stories are usually about people they care about so that activates their emotions and inspires them to be both attentive to the information but also relate it to situations that have meaning for them.

I teach in the Medical field, so using their emotions, I ask questions like, if this was your mother and some one was treating her and used the wrong medication, how would you feel about it. It makes them use their emotions but also makes them look in a different aspect. This is not just a patient, but some ones, mother, father, etc.

My students believe that I did not have to work to get where I was or that I was priviledge when growing. However, sharing my personal struggles, being a high school drop out, to now obtaining my Masters, this shows them that just because of their backbround does not mean they have to stay there.

Helping students to understand how what they are learning is used in the real world setting reels them in allowing them to stay motivated in what they are learning. I often include stories from my career and my students show a great amount of interest in hearing real stories from their future profession.

By using examples of real life experiences and practical applications this leads to open discussions which helps the instructor in gaining input about the student's overall emotional state. This encourages the view and opinion of others and helps the students to realize that often different attitudes could present a well balanced approach. This should moivate the class to view others as significant when taking a team approach.

kelly,
Everyone gets to that point in their life through different avenues. Sharing each person individual journey can help show that opportunity is everywhere.
Philip Campbell

I teach health care. I read or re live my real experiences from clinical settings. This inspires students to talk about their experiences which in turn teaches them to be able to use empathy once in the working world.

I have had an incredible amount of good outcomes this way .Book and class knowledge for them is great and they like it , however bringing in your real world experiences, the problem solving you went through and showing the enthusiasm you had really keeps their attention. Find those key one or two students with a lot of field experience also helps as people can see that it can be done at all levels .

I believe in the sharing of personal or professional experiences when instructing students. I believe that it is important to allow the students to share their experiences as well as to share my own; this allows for active participation on the part of the student. I also do believe in structure as well, so often I give an example of either a good or bad experience with a situation and ask the students to also share; but we need to keep on topic as well as to show how a negative experience can be turned around to a positive. I think that the ability to keep on topic can be tricky here.

I also use the technique of group work and discussions and then have the group pick a spokesperson to then relay the opinion of the group; I feel this allows the students to utilize and gain experience in the use of their soft skills.

Sign In to comment