Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find that tapping into the students' emotions is one of the best ways to motivate them. If they can feel a personal connection to the topic they are more interested in learning about and will pay attention during the lecture, video clips, presentations, etc. I always try to get them personally involved in my classes. You can learn a lot about a person such as where they have come from, how they overcame life's obstacles and kept moving forward, i.e. what motivated them to succeed. If they can see the same path in a classroom, I feel they benefit more and strive to learn all they can.

I agree. Sharing "Real World" experiences help students really think about things.

Arvice,
Real world experiences can take over a class. Careful to keep a good balance of giving information and sharing experiences.
Philip Campbell

I think relating personal experiences about what is being taught is very important. It helps the students realize that what they are learning is practical and useful. It helps them to become involved as they also share experiences they have had. Hands on is also very important. I think the concept of teach, show and do is very beneficial.

Cheryl,
That is a nice example. Experiences is what helps students to gain knowledge and develop their own experiences from.
Philip Campbell

In the adult classroom it is very important to motivate students not only with the promise of a better life at the end the tunnel but also tapping into their emotions about the topics being covered. I teach in a medical program and much of the time the material can be very draining, both physically and emotionally. I try to utilize any background knowledge my students may have, any personal experiences they may have or personal experiences of my own to make what they are studying more real for them. I find that when we tap into something they are emotional about, like having a baby or a loved one suffering from some kind of disease that requires the intervention that we can provide, it brings the lesson full circle and gets them emotionally involved. Whenever I can make hat connection it is always a more sucessful class.

I like to find out how a students clinical day went and how they applied their classroom experience with the hands on. This help motivate their learning experience and encourage them to step outside of their comforted zone.

I also like doing demos for students and it helps enable them to do better and get more motivated to succeed in the task at hand.

I agree. I try to connect with each of my students to learn their backgrounds and interests. It develops relationships and reveals genuine empathy for their emotions. Then I fine tune my instruction in a manner that they can relate, which motivates their participation.

larry,
Those demos give students a look at what they will be doing on the job.
Philip Campbell

Also I feel allowing the student to express a personal experience tells me, as the teacher, whether the student has understood the objective that has been taught.

I tell a lot of indutry stories which really excites my students and makes them want to get out into the industry which also motivates them int he classroom

Jamie,
Those stories help. Be careful no to let it get in the way of the class.
Philip Campbell

•We have to make students aware that emotions play a major role in the workplace. With emotions come conflicts and we have to express the importance of resolving conflicts. We also must stress the importance to developing workplace relationships and the importance of integrity and respecting others in developing relationships.

Be a good listner
Be available when they need you
Celeberate the successes
Value students opinions

RAJINI,
Thanks for sharing, good points. Celebrations are key.
Philip Campbell

Phillip, I've found that if I can display an open, somewhat self-revealing persona in the classroom, it tends to create a more comfortable climate for the students to feel freer to self-disclose. This comfort level can greatly enhance motivation levels, not only in my students, but in myself, as well. The process seems to feed itself and perpetuate momentum in covering the material and being able to apply it. The students don't see me as a "stuffy, know-it-all professor-type", but as a "real person with flaws" with whom they can relate...which usually has an inspiring effect on them and their efforts.

Positive attitude and listening are two ways to make the student fill that can count and find the support from someone a list ones a day. That is when soft skills comes into place.

Bruno,
Listening plays a key role in teaching. If you have that down, you should have little problems with students.
Philip Campbell

I engadge my student in open forum conversations within small groups and come together and discuss our findings.

Sign In to comment