Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You're right. A good discussion can wander down a remarkable variety of paths. We don't want to squelch our students' sharing, but we do need to constantly help them relate their stories to the point(s) of the class.

allen,
Those real world examples are important for the students.
Philip Campbell

Noreen,
Great techniques, keep on using them.
Philip Campbell

What I have found to be beneficial is once a week, I show a brief "YouTube" video related to topics that support a belief that "you" can make it and do it. I search for videos to inspire, enlighten, and encourage the students that no matter the circumstances or environment, push through it and keep going. Sometimes, I even have students get emotional during the video because they connect and relate to what they are watching. On occasion I role play scenarios that support soft skills vs. attitude challenges that can lead to being employable.
Althea Wynn

Let them know that you understand what they are going through. Tell them your story (if any). Let them know you care.

John,
Just showing them you care is all they need sometimes.
Philip Campbell

By challenging students in lab to complete the task first promotes a healthy rivalry among to push themselves to be the best and therefore gives them more confidence.

sandra,
Improving confidence in students is hard to do, but finding ways like this is a great help.
Philip Campbell

I tell my students about the experiences I went through during my career so they can get an idea of what it is like in the dealership environment.

Inspiring students and creating a passion for the topic is an effective way to motivate students during instruction. By building positive emotions in the classroom the students will be motivated and be able to enhance and generate their own motivation.

Laura,
Keep creating the positive environment that is so important. The students will thank you for it.
Philip Campbell

if you attach value to an activity, a lab assignment as well as the technical part seems to encourage students, learning can be valuable when it results to getting a good job, then there is enthusiasm which will encourage students, and increase interest

Michael,
Keep adding the value to their skills they are learning. Once they see that those skills are important, they will be on their way.
Philip Campbell

it is very important to allow the students to share the real word examples with each other and instructor also it makes them more motivated and interested in a teaching process

Bakhriya,
Yes, those real world examples will eventually help your students as examples of how to be successful.
Philip Campbell

An instructors most valuable teaching tool are his real life experiances that he can share with his students.These stories are interesting to them,and help prepare them for the real world.

It is tough to motivate students when they are in fear of failing. I have seen students become more and more distant

I agree, students need to see value in what they are doing, and once they see value in what the are doing it will motivate the student to study or work harder on a lab skill.For example when a student makes a 100 on a quizz that motivates them to study for the next exam or quiz.It is very important for the instructor to give postive feed back to the student.

The Instructor should yous there real life experense on what and how to do.

David,
These are important and help to drive home solutions to students.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment