Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Temante,

I agree that picking a controversial or popular subject to discuss in class can be powerful to evoke student emotions. Often times, I will play devil's advocate to allow students to see both sides of a situation. A recent popular topic in healthcare has been physician-assisted suicide. By presenting factual information and both sides of the argument to students, this results in a lively debate that often makes students more likely to participate in class both during that particular discussion and in future discussions.

I find I also must continue to motivate fellow instructors when speaking about particular students. To help the other instructors not get down or frustrated while working with challenging students.

1. Relating to students on their level.
2. Teach at their level and not above them.
3. Use real-life examples to help teach them and use other techniques to encourage and motivate learning.
4. Have motivation talks with students at the beginning of each class.

I add life stories

When you can relate the material to a life experience(s), this is when I believe student's understand more.

I try to get them to relate a new concept to one that they already understand, so as to not recreate the wheel. Adding a fun activity that re-enforces what we are learning also helps for retaining information and motivating students. They are always waiting to see what else I can come up with.

EFFECTIVE WAYS TO MOTIVATE STUDENTS ARE LISTED BELOW:
LIFE EXPERIENCES
WORK ETHICS
EXAMPLES
MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKERS

I have motivated students by allowing them to briefly share current news events in class as it relates topics of discussion from the textbook. This allows the material to "come alive" and become more relevant to life events. Their enthusiasm and interest piques when they present a story in the news, I find the news clip on the internet, show it to the class for discussion, then offer extra credit questions which they may find on an upcoming quiz or exam.

Most students readily remember the answers because of the interest (and excitement) of viewing and discussing a topic that in NOT presented in the monotony to the textbook!

Students feed off of their instructors. When an instructor is animated,engaged and passionate about the topic that they are teaching, this serves to motivate students. You have to get them excited to come to your class and listen to your lecture. The student should feel like they are going to miss out if they are absent from your class.

I also agree that bringing the real world into the classroom is beneficial to the students. The things we learn on the job are things the books will not teach them. Without some knowledge of how to relate to patients, some of the students would be shocked when they are treated badly by a patient. We need to let them know before they enter the workforce that it is not necessarily them that the patient is frustrated with - they are just the ones in front of them. Sharing real life experiences is definitely a bid part of learning.

Quite often I give examples of experiences I have had at a patients bedside or with family that have made an impact on me- good and bad. Such as how I felt at the time of the event or how I might do it differently if I could do it over again. This frank discussion can tap into a students past, or in the future if an experience similar happens, the student may flash back to the discussion in class.
Also, after giving my example, I may ask the students how they would have responded. Thus eliciting discussion on a visceral level, which can often be palpable and motivating.

Practicality of concept is very important. I usually introduce a new concept through proclamation, explanation, and then demonstration. This is usually very effective when topped with a practical application activity or lab.

@PhilipCampbell Somtimes relating personal experinces and how you over came problems can be funny and put students at more ease to be able to over come thier own problems

@PhilipCampbell Motivation is an incentive that is initiated by the instructor through relateable knowledge.

Sign In to comment