Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

No matter how dry the topic, the energy projected by the instructor has a huge impact on the atmosphere in the class. Cheerleading, cajoling, and interaction are vital. Linking dry topics to fun ones often helps; in teaching some pretty boring safety and sanitation information, I found it useful to create an imaginary catered picnic. By basing the facts and data points on food we all enjoyed talking about, I have been able to generate more interest and energy.

I always like to do a demo for the students on what we just went over, then show them some tricks that are not in books and explain to them how cool it is to know this and how it relates to the real world. When the students go "WHOA do that again, please" and then it all clicks and then they start doing that trick/demo and trying new things.

By providing a fun and exciting learning environment. Also guiding them with some demonstration and feedbacks that will give them the confidence to perform at their maximum.

By asking their feed backs on topics and sugesstions to various methods of approach to the topic and situation and any drawbacks that one can face and means to overcome them.

When students are made aware of the relevance and practicality of an activity to their lives, then they will more likely buy-in and participate. Managed artfully - when you recognize their buy-in - will allow creativity to spawn and they will enjoy learning. Being flexible in delivery to each class will help you find the path to their interest button.

I've worked in the Emergency room for 4 years and I find the students engage more when I talk about our material and tie to a real life situation that i've seen or done. I think it motivates them to do there best and graduate so they can experience some of what I have.

I go into to the classroom with a positive and enutheastic attitude about the subject.Then I give examples on how this material is used in the real world of work.

By acknowledging each student with good listening and positive feedback they will get a sense that we care. The students will likely become more comfortable participating in class, increasing their motivation to do well, and get excited about learning. Having a comfortable two way conversation leeds to success.

In teaching Business classes I find that relating the topic to the students’ life or career is the best motivator. When I can give them real work experience involving the topic of the class they “Buy Into It”. This also tends to start discussion when the students give their real world examples. They analyze what happened and how they could have handled it better. It sometimes becomes a contest of who can solve the problem the “Best” way.

I agree. Teaching clinicals at the facility it is crucial to evaluate how the student can correlate theory into clinical practice. Sharing with them the purpose of thier objectives and skills, before hands on gives them an understanding on real life on the job workplace skills. It really motivates me and my students when they remembered a situation that was taught to them impromptu due to the circumstances, and informed me later that they used the tips I taught them to resolve it. How rewarding.

I'm a Chef Instructor and to keep the motivated I work together with them working around their ideas sto make them feel they are creating also.

Students are motivated by bringing in speakers that are expert i the area, going to visit sites where they mey work and bringing into the classroom real life examples

One method I use to motivate students is to relate a true story from my past work history to what we are discussing in class. Students can learn that the practical application of skills is only part of the daily workload. Compassion and understanding of the patient's condition should be in our focus even when we do not have direct patient contact. I also tell colorful stories relating past coworker issues and unusual specimens encountered.

I agree that students seem to take more interest in class if they develop a more personal relationship with fellow students and/or the instructor. These bonds create a way to get mutual support for stresses of school as well as assistance when needed.

One of the ideals I have to teach is safety equiptment. As it happens , I lost my sister and family in a fire and I use the drama of that event to illustrate how vulnerable we all are to accidents, this opens the door, because nearly everyone has a sister or family member they would hate to lose, it does stike at the heart, But I always have their attention after that.

The first thing that I do as an Instructor is to listen my students, sometimes is just as simple as that, they need to talk with someone about their concerns. Second, show always respect for what they are sharing with me.
Then, I motivated them emphasizing their own skills, being positive and giving them constructive feedback.

I also bring up many of my past experiences into the class discussion to make the material more relevant. I encourage students to bring up questions or concerns they observe during their clinical rotations. Students bring in lab data (without patient ID) or patient scenarios they are encountering at clinicals and we discuss the case as a class. This way students can experience the case much as if they were on rounds at the hospital. It opens up not just discussion, but brings in the material they have learned and they can experience how their knowledge is applied to improving patient care. It becomes real to them and provides meaning to their learning.

Sherry,
Relationships can be seen as a scary word. We can have relationships with students on a professional level, that will help them to be successful.
Philip Campbell

Victoria,
Nice list of what to do. Keep up the good work.
Philip Campbell

It is critically important to make students understand that in healthcare we must always consider the patient's privacy and comfort. That while we may be engrossed in a scientific procedure, we are working with a living, breathing, dynamic entity that has feelings and needs to be cared for. Also, a key component to motivating students is to remind them that someone is also caring for their family members and we want them to be cared for with the utmost quality and concern as we will deliver to our patients.

Sign In to comment