Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Laura,
That is a great point and one that is hard to overcome. Motivation is a factor in that as well. We as instructors to keep ourselves motivated in those times.
Philip Campbell

I try to provide examples of when the information might be usefull in their jobs. Hopefully this will motivate them to better understand the concepts precented.

I believe giving students valuable and positive extrinsic feedback at first is very important for their learning and motivation. This is done in many ways through positive feedback on assignments, class discussion and giving them hands on feedback for improving the clinical skills they are developing. When they find success in these areas it builds upon itself and the student finds confidence that motivates them further. As they progress in their course of learning, it is also important that they develop their own intrinsic motivation to continue their desire to learn and be the best clinicain possible. This is done by allowing the student to observe, problem solve and develop critical thinking skills for clinical decision making. The students are inspired when the instructor demonstrates enthusiasm that they are making progress and states they will be competent clinicians.

I encourage students to connect what we're learning to their everyday lives. If students start seeing their own world in a different way because of the course material, this fosters a higher level of investment in their education and can last a lifetime. For example, I teach art appreciation classes. Students can use what we learn to experience the music they already like in a new way, which can be very exciting!

I did make a post about positive ways to motivate students as well! I wanted to add that I have, on occasion, experienced students who just seem "unmotivatable". Sometimes the reason is clear, such as senioritis, sometimes it's not clear. In the online setting, it's incredible hard to tell whether it's lack of motivation or something else, because we don't have body language, tone of voice, etc, to help to gauge.

I was wondering what others do in these circumstances? I find myself just trying different approaches hoping something works, but sometimes nothing seems to do the trick....

Brian,
Keep presenting the students with those examples. They will thank you for it when they see the example at work.
Philip Campbell

Jennifer,
Making those connections are important and will most likely play off for them when they are in the workplace.
Philip Campbell

I completely agree with all of you regarding the various ways to motivate students and add to their overall learning experience. It's amazing how much influence we as instructors actually have over our students, what better way to cultivate that than to teach them how to harness the abilities they have within them. It is a responsibility that I take very seriously and enjoy my role as an educator immensely. Thanks for sharing your comments everyone, and keep up the fantastic work!

I usually use quotations that will inspire them or do a short activity to remind them of the time when they were so happy and inspired when they were finally accepted into the Vocational Nursing Program. This is a fast paced program that can be very stressful so students tend to feel exhausted and frustrated.

If the way to a man's heart it through his stomach, I believe that the way to the students' mind is through their HEARTS!

I am a believer of the 7 Habits for highly effective people by Stephen Covey so I share some important points from this book when it is appropriate.

I totally agree, with the statement that connecting the classroom with the real world is positive for them. This paints a clearer picture in the students mind where they begin to relate what the teacher is saying.

I like to tap into the emotion of a student by asking if any student has experieced any similar situation as being discussed in the classroom.

I believe as instructors our passion is key. Keeping it interesting, relevant and current to their lives and experiences keeps them engaged and motivated.

Shermika,
Keep influencing students. We are in a position that we can.
Good Work.
Philip Campbell

Deronde,
Keep bringing those real world applications into the classroom. The more exposure students get the more comfortable they will feel when they leave the classroom.
Philip Campbell

Donna,
Keep doing all of those things. It will help keep the students engaged in the classroom as well.
Philip Campbell

It helps when I express to them we may discuss some, but we have to stay on schedule.

Latissha,
Discussions help the students to interact, but keeping a schedule is important. Find that balance and use it to your advantage.
Philip Campbell

I find that sharing my experiences from working in the field is helpful in motivating the students. Also, having guest speakers from the profession can be very inspiring. In some of our studio class presentations, we require the students to participate in peer critiques of their projects. We have group discussions about the strengths of the project and areas for improvement. It provides them with constructive feedback and is effective in encouraging the student to improve their skills, etc.

It is important in my classes to ask questions that will make them think to solve a situation which provides them with motivation as they often expect responses from others in the room

Susanne,
Keep expecting them to participate in classes. The most practical experience come from real world examples.
Philip Campbell

Sign In to comment