Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Vanessa,
I am a 24-year veteran in teaching, and I always look for ways to improve even 24 years later. Professional growth is a good thing.

Patricia Scales

You must realize that you have a job to do and do well for all the students. You are not there for socialization or to make friends. Yes, you want to be liked but this should not take precedence over your quality of work and dedication to all the students.

I think I have made all of them (instructor mistakes), and wish I had this tutorial before my first day of teaching. I may have saved myself some heartache. On the other hand, Professor Delong reinforced that in order to do something well you must do it poorly at first. Possibly one way to avoid making mistakes, is to learn from making them in the first place.

My biggest issue (mistake) was my very technical background. I have a Masters in Information System and being able to bring it to a language the student could understand was a challenge.

The first class I taught on grounds, I was super nervous. I hoped the students did not see thru me. I did teach software to businesses, but that was more of an informal setting.

Well put, I think each day brings new challenges to the classroom and we have to be open minded to consider re-adjusting our methods to better meet the needs of each student.

Hi Antonio,
You know the material! Prepare! You many even want to try to mock teach to family members or other faculty to help with preparation.

Patricia Scales

Being a fairly new instructor I find myself talking way to fast and getting through the lectures to quickly.I have begun to slow down and add personel experiences into the lecture .The students seem to like the real world applications of the skills they are learning.

I'm a relatively new instructor as well (9 months so far). I've been a RN for 9 yrs now & there is alot of teaching that RNs do with patients & families. This helped some in moving to a part time teaching role in a RN program. I teach pathophsiology & the material is very cut & dry. I give lots of examples of how this info applies to caring for patients, expecially case studies. I include discussion questions here & there throughout the lecture. But, I'd like to find ways to make my lectures more interactive.

Hi Curt,
Students love to hear our stories as they apply to the course. Also it would be smart to have some additional exercises on hand in the event you finish earlier than expected.

Patricia Scales

Hi Laurie,
On a side note, students would live to hear your personal stories as they apply to the content. You should have a lot to share with your students having 9 years of practical experience. Trying playing games, role playing, mock learning, scenarios, case studies, guest speakers, field trips, etc.

Patricia Scales

As a new instructor, I am always trying to learn from my mistakes, I am sure to make new ones but will not make the same ones and am better prepared when the situation arises next time

I appreciate Paul's insights! The new hire and the seasoned professional's have different expereince and perspective, but daily growth as an educator is a must. A writting lesson plan that includes not just WHAT is being addressed in class but the exact HOW must be detailed as well. Often I observe a lack of preparation and collaboration (with fellow teacher's) when is comes to lesson planning. An added effort to collaborate within a campus or cross-campus (if applicable) would stimulate the seasoned instructor. Feel free to explore Virtual Guest Speakers to class with available technology to mix it up a bit! :)

TO STOP ACTING AS IF YOU KNOW EVERYTHING, JUST BECAUSE YOU TEACH OR INSTRUCT THE COURSE. KEEP IN MIND YOU ONCE WAS A STUDENT: AND IN THIS DATE AND TIME NOT ALL STUDENTS ARE GOOD STUDENTS.

I appreciate you discussing the challenges that some seasoned instructors make. I am a new instructor that is trying to absorb an abundance of information. At the same time, I have much to offer to my current program. It does not help if there are instructors that are steadfast in their ways and unwilling to collaborate with others. I think no matter where you are in your professional career as an instructor; there are always opportunities for growth.

I like to study teaching methods as well as keeping abreast of new trends in my field. That way I can keep up with my brightest and most inquisitive students and answer their questions intelligently, thereby earning students' respect.

It is most important to be prepared with material for the whole class time. I have some back-up articles and activities that I can pull out if I run short. I let the flow of the class happen and not be overly controlling or on a too strict time frame. I also try to be myself and not try to copy the other teachers who are well liked.

First, I realize that I am still learning, also. I don't have all the answers and I am not afraid to admit that. Second, I try to focus on the students and try to put myself in their shoes and develop my lectures to engage them. Lastly, I have a checklist of what I need to do when while lecturing.

One of my biggest mistakes when I began teaching was rushing into one of my classes without a clear and organized plan (after a very busy weekend). I make sure now that if life gets in the way and I can not fully prepare for a class, I always have an emergency lesson plan for each course I am teaching.

Hi June,
Planning is paramount to becoming an effective teacher. Those who fail to plan, may possibly fail.

Patricia Scales

As I am a new instuctor, this is something that I am learning to do as I continue in my first term of teaching. The goal that I hope to convey to my students is that everybody was once new at something, and just as they are new to this field, I also new to the teaching enviroment, and I am human.

Sign In to comment