Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Excellent approach Janet. I'm glad you mentioned counting to ten. Taking a step back is often the healthiest approach when we're dealing with stress. Often times, our instinctive first reaction is not necessarily our best reaction.

I have long believed that a problem well defined is half solved. Making a list a potential stressors, if nothing else can help to lessen, avoid, and cope in a healthy manner, where,how, and when we can. I plan in addition to making a list, to also drink more water and less coffee.I have also found that where practical, music is very helpful in coping with stress.

I work out several times per week. Also, I have been doing a lot of bike riding with my youngest child which is fun and relaxing--we ride our bikes out in the country where we stop and pet the horses--they are so much fun! Also, I hang out with our pets which are huge stress relievers! I mediate, read fun things and seek new adventures to explore--even if it is only for a hour-- I am trying to take on the attitude that ‘life is now and we must enjoy it right now--not tomorrow!” I know that this sounds so fundamental but I have been living a life where I have been putting everything off for ‘tomorrow’--crazy living. Like the old saying: “Life is not a dress rehearsal--this is it”--so enjoy the journey even when we have all these demands--we need to realize that we are still in control--much easier to say then to put into practice but I will not give up--it is too important to me--LOL!

I find that sharing helps me cope with things. I find that if I vent or talk about the stressful things that have happened today for about 5-10 minutes when I get home in the evening it helps me decompress for the evening and not continue to have things racing through my head all night.

So glad to hear you have found a method that works well for you Jenny! It's nice to spend 5-10 minutes just letting everything out. We've got to be careful about who we choose to listen, but if we've got an ear from someone we trust, we're usually good!

I will take a look at my outlets to manage stress and employ them in a more consistent and systematic manner. For example, I will run 2-3 days a week. I will practice meditation on a daily basis. I will take timeouts to stretch at work, home, and even in my car. I will pay more attention to my breathing when feeling stressed. I will start having stress breaks in my classes.

Sounds like a great plan Earl! I like the way you are incorporating a lot of variety in stress management. That's really important. It will help sustain your interest and add color and richness to your days.

All of these are great coping mechanisms, thanks for sharing William. I too agree that a well define problem is half solved. Well said!

I excercise a few times a week and see my chiropractor (keeps me healthy) to help deal with stress.

Ask for more help (:

Excellent to hear Alica! Sounds like low impact exercise may work best if you have to go easy on your bones and joints. Swimming, walking and yoga are all great choices.

I need to take more breaks- just getting out of my office, away from the computer, and perhaps outside for a walk would improve my day. Changing activities would help too.

I have actually started to do some things already to deal with stress. I try to get up before my kids in the morning to exercise for at least 20 minutes. Because I have dealt with anxiety my whole life, I already use breathing techniques to help me cope with stress. My problem comes in trying to eliminate stress. Based on this module I will make a list to see what can be eliminated or reduced.

i will take short mind vacations and practice my breathing techniques and if time allows try to walk around the campus during lunch when i don't have to spend my lunch breaks doing goverment mandated continued learning courses!

and it helps to vent a little too ha3x

Focus on proper diet, relaxation, rest and a good balance of recreational activities. Physical activity should be scheduled as should recreational activities and trips in order to keep strss at bay.

I have other outlets for stress, I read, sew & work in the garden. Depending upon my mood, I will choose the best one for that time.

Stress is a part of life. One of the best coping mechanisms is to create consistency in the day, good nutrition and exercise. Having these strategies in your life helps create a different outlook on the stressors of the day.

I cope with stress by trying to prevent it from occurring the the first place. For example, I don't wait to the last minute to complete a task.

I have found that talking with fellow co-workers usually works. You will be amazed to find out that you are not the only one experiencing this stress.

Sign In to comment