Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Something that I need to change is to not internalize the stress. I need to find another faculty member to meet with and vent. Someone my equal who will understand the stress and offer some possible coping strategies would be important.

The stressor that I cannot eliminate is the long drive through the traffic to reach to work. However, by giving a little bit more time for the commute, I hope, i may be able to cope with this stressor.

Steven, Sounds like that would be a great outlet for you. It's important to connect with people who are experiencing the same kinds of challenges as you are. Sharing experiences and perspectives can help a lot when it comes to coping. Also, exploring solutions for minimizing stress together helps too.

Dr. Melissa Read

This module helped reinforce the many things I already do to reduce the stressors in my life.

Beverly, Yes, getting proper rest can be a huge game changer. A lot of instructors don't realize how tired they are all the time. It's hard to catch up on sleep and sometimes not possible at all.

Dr. Melissa Read

Mohan, Yes, that's one way to approach it. Another is to find a way to become a little more productive during that commute time. You can try things like music, books on tape or even taking a call if that is permitted in your state. These things don't make the commute any shorter, but may help make the time feel like it's passing faster.

Dr. Melissa Read

Alan, Excellent to hear. At times, we just need a little reinforcement on direction. Many of us already have coping mechanisms that we rely on, and that's how we've gotten as far as we have in our lives.

Dr. Melissa Read

Robert, So true. It is far too easy to become consumed with the drama. Sometimes taking a step back and just a little time for ourselves is the only way we can move forward without getting too consumed with the challenges of the day.

Dr. Melissa Read

More sleep is a plus, eating correctly, making a point to enjoy my Wife and Five Children outside of work. I work 13 hour days, 5 days a week. I have found that having a great since of humor helps a lot if you laugh you won’t cry.

Getting proper rest and exercise are key components of coping with stress.

When I feel stressed I take out a couple of minutes and take a brisk walk just to clear my thoughts. Limit my caffeine intake.

I will start to figure out what will help me deal with what ever is stressing me out and use that technique.

There are several very good recommendations in this forum. However, I think a combination of things would work better for alot of people. Eating right,getting enough rest,doing something that you enjoy such as reading a book, playing pool,working out. Whatever takes your mind off of what's causing you stress.

I could begin with breathing exercises and showing less face expressions.
I have been told thst my feeling and thoughts are written all over my face and in my body language.

For sure more sleep! I think it is important to wind down at night and get in a mood which is more appropriate for going to bed. I find myself reading technical articles-which isn't good as they get my brain going too much. Need to slow down!!

I plan to get my running routine going again. I have done that in the past and it really helps quite a bit.

Do you find that training some times gets in the way of other things you must complete?

Paul, Yes, I like your thinking. For most of us, balancing a few different coping mechanisms is the best approach. This diversity helps us as our environments and resources change. So for example, walking outside only works if you're in a climate with good weather.

Dr. Melissa Read

I like to be well rested, As I get older I don't let things or people stress me as much. Life is to short. I don't dwell on isues and I deal with things as they happen.

I would love to be stress free. I would start of with more sleep, better eating habits and and exercising. Maybe even get some yoga classes to relive some of my stress.

Sign In to comment