Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have started two things, I am trying to get close to 8 hours of sleep a night, its easier to deal with obstacles when you are well rested.
Also trying to walk at the park three times a week, for just an hour and I have noticed a difference, more energy and less stress!

I do attempt to exercise regularly and to get away from my desk throughout the day for short "breaks". Stretching and taking a few moments to breathe deeply also helps.

Diane, Sounds like you have come up with a great routine for coping with stress. I particularly like the idea of taking short breaks. What a difference they can make. Stepping away from your desk for even just a few minutes can give you a fresh perspective when you return.

Dr. Melissa Read

Nancy, I love your perspective and you are right. There are a wealth of coping mechanisms to choose from. The best ones are the ones that work best for you. It sounds like dancing has really helped you cope. I say continue to go with that. Music is such a great outlet too, and doesn't require much effort to enjoy.

Dr. Melissa Read

taking a walk on your 15 min brake helps alot. just walk around the lab once or twice.

I try to take the stairs or walk places if I can. This gives me more energy and time to think alone. My home will never be perfect with four kids in it so I have to just breathe and try not to let it bother me.

I don't have much control over the amount of sleep I can get in my household, but I may begin to utilize the list mentioned earlier. Identifying which stressors can be reduced or eliminated and addressing them one at a time would be very helpful.

I need to learn to take a break from my desk. I need to start walking campus for a few minutes to re-group and clear my mind

I started making a promise to be in bed by 10pm at least 3 days a week and it has helped me cut down my stress level because im getting more sleep.

Michele, Taking a step away is a wonderful approach that I highly recommend. For some instructors, it feels almost impossible with back to back classes and office hours. Other instructors have the luxury. Even if you can step away for just 5 minutes, it can be totally worth it.

Dr. Melissa Read

Heather, Great points. Sometimes we have to reset our expectations. Prior to having kids, you probably expected that your home would be organized in a certain way and you were probably able to fulfill that goal. Today, your situation is much different and it's healthy to adjust your expectations accordingly.

Dr. Melissa Read

Considering myself as an athlete and runner, I like to use exercise as a stress reliever. When I run, I feel like I can clear my mind and relieve some tension that has built up. At the same time, I am building endorance for those busy and long days that require a healthier body and more energy to be productive.

Exercise
Talking it out
Eating Healthy
Makeing time for myself

Some things I like to do to cope with stress are reading, sitting outside for fresh air, sunlight, and birds chirping, going for walks, painting, and getting a massage, facial, or mani/pedi. You really have to take time out for yourself every once in awhile. We deserve it! Also I feel much less stress and more control when my home is nice and tidy.

I cannot change the stressors such as my bills and my salary. I am unsure if any of the coping methods mentioned in the lesson would be beneficial for me. Is there anything different that anyone else uses that would be helpful?

I'm going to create a list of things that I can't do anything about, things that I can reduce and things that I can eliminate.

Eric, So glad to hear that running has worked well for you as an outlet. Yes, it's a wonderful way not only to clear your mind but also to be stronger when you return to your role.

Dr. Melissa Read

I find that a sense of humor goes a long way in dealing with stress I can't eliminate. I have also found that I really need to make a few "me-minutes" when I am forced to deal with those things - I take time to do something that is just for/by/about me. It allows me the opportunity to cope better with those things that would otherwise drive me crazy.

A couple of healthy ways to cope with stress for me would be to perform deep breathing exercises and I like the idea of calling a family member routinely for revitalization.

I have already started, i recently had some stress related medical problems and realized that i had been putting unrealistic pressure on my self, now i slow down a bit, think about the problem and come up with a different way to do the same job that i would have stressed about before.

Sign In to comment