Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Finances is a stressor that cannot be eliminated
because it is a constant battle we fight throughtout our lifetime. Management is the key to successfully use your money to your advantage.

Yes, money management is the key. People who keep careful watch over their finances can reduce stress and budget to splurge every once in a while too!

As a Nurse, I made a decision when I decided to change my career goals and chose to transition from the hospital environment in Leadership/Management, to the academic setting.

The decision was to acquire my Certificate in Nursing Education and continue in the Masters of Nursing Education program; after acquiring a Faculty position.

This is a specific stressor in my life that definitely cannot be eliminated; because I made this decision to take these steps to pursue my continuing education.

I have completed the Certificate in Nursing Education program and will continue in the Masters of Nursing Education program in the fall. The load that I was carrying certainly was not easy; but, I had to persevere.

Completing theory/clinical with Nursing students was another challenge; coupled with all the other obligations and commitments. I also started an exercise regimen with a group of friends on a weekly basis and I am sure this helped me to adapt and cope with the stress.

I think that the only thing that I would do differently to decrease the severity of the stressor, would be to schedule my own education at varying times and not so close to each other. What I have learned from the module is that by doing things differently, I would be more apt to reduce the negative short/long-term consequences of what stressful circumstance present
and have a more healthy and productive life.

This is a great analysis Sharon. I like the language you use when you describe taking stress on. The way you describe it, you are very much in control of the amount of stress you take on. That's really the best outlook and approach!

The one stressor that I cannot seem to be able to eliminate is the economical factor, but I have found through personal experience thqat going out for a bicycle run helps eliminate the stress and provides you with a fresh start. I recommend exercise to anybody coping with stress in their lifes.

I think that you should always take a little time to youself no matter what is going on in life. You need time for a hobby that is fun. Then you can regroup and tackle problems more efficently.

I will try to go for walks everyday, even if it is only 30 minutes, set aside some me time; to read or gor for a massage. AND spend for time with friends to laugh and have fun.

This is true Samuel. Taking time for you should be first priority. It helps you unwind and refocus - making you stronger when you return to helping others.

Thanks Enrique. Great tip! I also recommend exercise. Glad the bike riding is helping you get through the tough economic times!

Im going to recognize the stress that can be reduced and the stress that cannot. The stress that cannot i need to find healthy ways to cope. By separating the two stressors i think ill feel less stressed out.

Thank you Dr. Read. I think that it had a lot to do with having so much responsibility at a young age. I think of myself as being able to do anything that I take on and put my mind to; making every attempt to look at things very positively. I am not a worrier and when things arise, I look for the best possible solution. I do the very best that I can and try to never look back; just forward to what the next step is and how I will grow/learn from it.

Sharon Rogers

Great thinking Edward. Try to categorize different stressors and deal with the ones that can be changed. Cope with the rest.

Hi Walt,

I totally agree with your personal plan. I don't drink coffee or a lot of caffeine normally; but, I could cut down on sugar (I love it). I am and always have been a positive person and only surround myself with positive and supportive friends/family. I started walking 5 miles on the beach 1-2 days/week at 5:45 AM in the morning, or 6:30 PM in the evening with a group of friends and this is amazing. We see the sun come up in the morning; or see the sun set in the evening ;as we watch the beautiful ocean on our walking path.

I look forward to making a difference in the lives of students each day and for myself, to do everything in my power to be happy for my life and my health. Good luck with your personal plan and the best to you.

Sharon Rogers RN, MSM, NEC

Sounds like the right approach Sharon. Thanks for sharing! I appreciate the part about growing and learning. We are not perfect as educators and must continuously strive to optimize our performance.

Coping with stress is very important when dealing with it during work and home. There are ways to managing it in a healthy fashion with help.

I have not been able to exercise for a while because I have been sick. I would like to get back to walkingon the treadmill when I feel better. I also need to do a better
Job of not internalizing the problems at work.

What's really interesting is if you listen and observe your students in the classroom, you can actually hear many of them sighing when they are doing work. Many of them are stressed out not necessarily from the work they are doing but from the combination of many stressors in their lives. The other day at the start of class I took them on a quick 5 min walk around the building and it seemed to help with flow of the class.

It's very important to listen Harry so I'm glad to hear you are on top of that. Yes, students do face many challenges. It's not just about what they have to do to earn their degree. It's about everything else. Approaching them from a place of understanding is the best first step.

Sounds like you need to jump start your old routine Mary. It's easy to fall off track with things like sickness, new tasks or even the holidays. But if you had a good routine going before, go ahead and see if you can pick things up where you left off. It's ok to start slow too!

Just like eliminating the contact you have to have with people who are irritating, reduce your exposure to what stresses you when you can. Live with it, deal with it as efficiently as possible and don't dwell on it. People who go on and on about what irritates them or stresses them, are just focusing on something that cannot be changed. Let go of it.......not going to make things any better to focus and complain about it. Some wisdom from a quote on a popsicle stick that I got from the drive through teller at the bank; "Your problem is not your problem, your reaction to your problem is the problem!"

Sign In to comment