Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Indeed true Gina! While it takes a lot of energy, exercise can really help you relax and unwind. I'm glad to hear that exercise has been helpful for you. Keep it up!

Sharing, exercise, and getting enough sleep. Sharing alleviates the mental strain and is probably the easiest of the three. Exercise and sleep are directly related. When I make time to thoroughly exercise, my body doesn't hesitate to go to bed and I always get a good night sleep. The solution is simple, but it can be difficult to motivate yourself to move.

Discussions with my fellow instructors and others in my field seems helpful. It's almost like a support group. It also serves as a network for future employment should I happen to be downsized.

Yes, having a support group is wonderful Paul. It's nice to be able to count on the perspectives of people who are going through similar experiences. To your point, the networking aspect of this is critical. Our networks can typically serve us well in both the near and long term.

I have found that taking half of my hour lunch break to walk to the park near by just listen to the trees and nature. I also try to do some deep breathing and remind myself that I can do this, I am in control & move on to the next thing. I also find that a hot shower or bath helps me to relax at the end of the day. I try to make a list of things that I need to do at the beginning of every week and then just focus on each day at a time, not worrying about what I have to do tomorrow!!

Marie, Sounds like you have several great coping mechanisms in place. Getting outside and being in nature is a wonderful way to relax when the weather is nice. When the weather is nice, some instructors take grading outside - perhaps at a picnic table or blanket at the park. This can be a wonderful way to make progress on your tasks while, at the same time, be relaxed and enjoying yourself.

Dr. Melissa Read

A lot of times we have a tendency to allow our own personal problems from home affect us at work adding to the stress from other factors I believe that if you would just take on only one problem at a time the stress level will drop and allow you to focused and have a better out come when dealing with stress in life.

I will start writing them down and eliminating the ones that should not effect me. I have already started excercising. thank you.

This course has been validation that I am doing the right things, exercise, eat right and get plenty of sleep, and most importantly, decide quickly what is worth stressing over. Stress will always be there, better find a way to deal with it

Paul, Sometimes all we need is a little validation that we are moving in the right direction. I'm glad to know you found it here! It sounds like you are already doing so many things right. Keep it up.

Dr. Melissa Read

I am going to start consciously focusing on my breathing when I feel stressed. I feel that is something that I can do without having to remove myself from any given situation and it will give me at least a precious few moments to gather my thoughts before moving forward.

Sign In to comment