Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really agree that exercise is a great releaser of negative energy. Getting enough sleep can also help you to have the energy to cope with problems. These are all healthy ways of managing the stress in your life.

Sounds like you have a great system Larry. I like how you set out to run three times a week. It is not always possible to dedicate time every single day but we do what we can to make exercise happen!

Yikes! That sounds really tough David. A three hour commute is a major time commitment. Some instructors with big commutes try to find productive things to do with their time while driving. Listening to books on tape is one example.

This is true Grace! When we can find a way to knock difficult tasks out of our queue, we get them out of our minds too. This can be such a great feeling. So addressing difficult tasks head on is a great investment, even if it's uncomfortable in the short term.

Very true about exercise and negative activity Tara. Exercise can be a great way to clear you mind of negative thoughts and be a little healthier too. We don't have to expend a lot of energy either. Simply taking a walk for a few minutes each day is a great step in the right direction.

I have been trying to eat right. My only flaw is the caffine. I love my coffee in the morning, but I try to keep it the the morning only and then just water or vitamin water for the rest of the day. I also need to start exercising.

I know I will feel better if I do some walking and I can do this with my kids.

My daughter is always wanting to exercise with me and she is very persistant.

It's great to have a family member who wants to keep active and keep exercising. Glad to hear you are in that kind of a situation Rebecca. It's also nice to hear that you recognize your vices but that you try to limit them to the best of your ability. No one is perfect. Life is about being the best version of ourselves that we can be.

Due to the nature of my current position, there are many stressors that cannot be eliminated but I belive that all stressors can be reduced. The actual cause of the stress will remain but using "sharing" techniques with other instructors experiencing the same (or like) stressors, stress reduction will occur.

It sounds like you have a good handle on the landscape of your stress Gordon. That's a great start. Focus on the stress that can be reduced and eliminated, understanding that other stress may be completely out of your control.

continue to apply myself to things that eliminate stress such as exercise and mediatation snd laughter.

Sounds like a great plan Juanita. Exercise, meditation and laughter can all at least help us reduce stress in our lives.

Much of my stress comes from feeling unorganized at school and home. I need to get organized and prioritize my "to do" list and address those issues that are most important and urgent. Next, I need to make my list of stressors that can be eliminated and reduced and deal with them one at a time. Finally, I need to come up with more effective coping mechanisms. Right now, I tend to overeat - which is leading me to other health problems and ultimately creating more stress in my life. This type of stress can be reduced by eating healthier, exercising, and talking about my stress with others; rather than keeing it all to myself!

Sounds like you have a solid assessment of where you are and where you need to be Amanda. That's a great step in the right direction. The next step is to actually do something about it. That's the harder part of people. I recommend starting small and working your way up!

I will assign weight to my to-do list by determining whether I can reduce, eliminate, or create an effective coping mechanism to offset the stress that arises from it.

I know that stress for me is manifested mentally so that I have a more difficult time focusing and transitioning to the next step of what has to be done.

I will keep a record of one of my coping mechanisms - i.e. incorporate exercise into my busy schedule and reevaluate after one week how it has made a positive impact in how I feel.

Next semester, I will share these strategies with my students.

I will make exercise a daily habit, no matter how busy I am.

I will become more conscious of my breathing so that I can incorporate deep breaths as soon as I feel stressed.

I will track the amount of time that is wasted needlessly when I am procrastinating.

I had gotten involved in unhealthy coping mechanisms. These affected my health tremendously. It started to open my eyes to these effects. I started to then cope with these stressors by going to the gym after work. I also joined kickboxing which is a stress relief.

Sounds like you have found a way to dramatically change your life Bindu! With a few healthy coping mechanisms, it's easy to get back on track and get back to being healthy too!

Sounds like an excellent plan Anne. I'm glad you took the time to outline what your are hoping to do in the future. Sometimes just writing out our intentions and articulating them to others is a great first step in committing to new and healthier habits.

Running is a great stress reliever, I have been walking which is also good. When I start to get angry or stressed out i stop and take a deep breath through the nose and out through my mouth.

Sounds like you have some developed some great coping mechanisms Gretchen! Nice work. Yes, breathing through your nose and out your mouth is the proper breathing technique - typically the most effective too.

Sign In to comment