Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sharing my problems with a good friend has become one of the things I have done to reduce the effects of the stressful things in my life that I can't change. Also, I began some light excercise three times a week and not only do I feel better but I am losing weight. Even with the obvious weight loss my friends and coworkers are more likely to comment on my improved outlook and attitude rather than my physical apperance.

Yes, stress reduction techniques often have many other benefits to be enjoyed. One of the biggest benefits is the impact your lower stress outlook has on others – and their reaction to this outlook.

It really helps me. I can tell if I miss a few days. I get cranky.

I will try to exersize more and do more breathing exersizes. There aren't many other things that can be dramaticly altered.

I would use the sharing method. I will share with my spouse, and together we will reduce or eliminate the stressors affecting me. Another method is the exercise method physical actives such weightlifting, and cardio is a plus.

Walking by myself or just some quiet time alone seems to help me deal with stress. Stress is a part of everyday life. How we choose to deal with it will result can make it better or worse. I have made some bad decisions in that respect and suffered for it. I don't get as angry as I used to over petty things.

Great point Steven, Some people cope with stress the best when they can be alone and take a break from everyday life. Sharing is not the best method for everyone. It’s important to do what works best for you.

I like to exercise every day, and I discuss the situation with my spouse concerning stressors that can't be reduced or eliminated.
Exercising helps my immune system stay healthy, and talking to someone or sharing prevents the problem from overflowing into other areas of my professional and personal life.

As one that has stressed about some of the littles things in the past. I have found that if I try to make all my students love to come to my class by showing them that learning can be more fun then we think. I start the day off with a happy mood and a smile.It shows the students you are loving your job and not there just for the pay.

Great point Franz! A positive instructors can really set the tone and mood of the room. And students with a positive outlook are far less stressful to teach than those who are negative.

Overall, I will take a few minutes to stretch from time to time. It only takes a few minutes and should help my day go by more quickly. It should also help me get more done in the time I have available.

Exercise is the key. I gets you away from the stressors, it make you breath deeply, is gets you stretching, it helps you sleep at night, and if you have someone to exercise with, you can share your problems. The obstacle is finding time. It seems that when you don't have the time to exercise, this is the time you need it most. I'm going to try to add exercise to my "to-do" list and scheduling exercise in my schedule in the future to block the time as I would for other necessary tasks. This may help.

We all know some tips and tricks for dealing with stress, but sometimes we forget. Stretching is one of those ones I forget! I think I will try to make that a priority in the future.

I have found in this course that there are many healthy ways of coping with some stressful situations you may not be able to change. I Now work out and stretch regularly and feel more relaxed after my work out sessions.

I’m glad you found the course content helpful Eric. Many people find that working out and stretching are a great way to reduce stress… and they have some other benefits too (e.g., good health). Keep it up.

One of my major stressors is my drive into work. I drive for an hour and find that timing is everything when dealing with traffic. I leave the house by a certain time. I listen to calming music. I don't get in a hurry, even if I am running late, because this can cause me to be even later if I get in an accident. I try to relax and be courteous to other drivers. I try to remain calm, even if it seems like Idiot day on the freeway. I get to work early so that I have time to decompress before I deal with the stresses of the day. If the day starts out good it usually runs smoothly all day.

Ronald, you have a lot of great ways to cope with your drive. Thanks for sharing. Of all the things you mentioned, perhaps the most important thing you do is leaving early... as doing so seems to help several other things fall into place.

Meditate on something rewarding and listen to tapes that are geared to relaxation techniques. Talk to other instructors who have similar problems and get ideas on what they do to reduce stress.

Ron: One thing I do on my 25 mile commute each day is listen to books on tape. If you like suspense listen to Harlan Coben. He is great and his stories are very good.

I reduce my stress by going home and splitting wood for my fire place.

Sign In to comment