Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sharlette, I think you bring up a good point. Sometimes we have to let go. Understanding this and setting reasonable expectations of what we can and cannot do is a good way to cope with stress. There are only so many hours in the day and (to your previous point) we do not have clones to help us with all the tasks that we don't have time to finish.

Live in such a way as to set an example. Making sure I have organization in my work day, with reasonable task list. Understanding that not everything can get done and not worrying when it does not. Assisting the more disorganized student to also work with priorities and task list. Communicating on a regular basis at home and work as to suggestions others might have for stress less and stress free living. Most of all not filling all the spaces in my life with something to do all the time. A little empty space here and there is a great gift.

teaching stress coping techniques is a great support for me in reducing my stressors. The goal now is to try other mechanisms to use when in the acute situation--like learning to deep breathe or using pause as a means of coping until the stressors can be handled in a proper manner.

To start, I want to add exercise into my lunch time break. I used to go to the gym, bu, because the costs are not affordable to me currently, I think i will just start walking or jogging for a half an hour a day.
And, leaving a few minutes earlier for class, I will not stress out about the traffic or not having time to go over notes.
scott

I have the coping skill and the process in place to use these. I have taking the time to realize what forces of stress I can control and what I can't. For me the first technique I use is to take a step back and ask myself is this a problem of an ant or an elephant? In responce I say to myself, an ant wont knock you over, but look out for the elephants. If this is a safety or security issue I would make sure to let the proper people know of what is happening. School and the students that go to schhol here should be safe.
Stress is a major concern. It has a big factor to do with the short livings of students, and instructors. I don't want this to happen to me. I try to eat righ, live right and do what I can when I am at work. When I leave work, I turn the key and I need to focus my energy and mind on other issues. I do crafts and read. I spend time more with my family. I try to use myself and the experiences to help other people such as chuch members and neighbors. I feel this is a great way for me to let go of the stress that happens to me when I am dealing with the ups and downs of stress. I try to live as balanced as I can. I try to practice what I preach because when I talk to others about stress, I try to be an example.

I have the coping skill and the process in place to use these. I have taking the time to realize what forces of stress I can control and what I can't. For me the first technique I use is to take a step back and ask myself is this a problem of an ant or an elephant? In responce I say to myself, an ant wont knock you over, but look out for the elephants. If this is a safety or security issue I would make sure to let the proper people know of what is happening. School and the students that go to schhol here should be safe.
Stress is a major concern. It has a big factor to do with the short livings of students, and instructors. I don't want this to happen to me. I try to eat righ, live right and do what I can when I am at work. When I leave work, I turn the key and I need to focus my energy and mind on other issues. I do crafts and read. I spend time more with my family. I try to use myself and the experiences to help other people such as chuch members and neighbors. I feel this is a great way for me to let go of the stress that happens to me when I am dealing with the ups and downs of stress. I try to live as balanced as I can. I try to practice what I preach because when I talk to others about stress, I try to be an example.

Good points Dagger. I particularly like your method of assessing the magnitude of the problem. Sometimes, it's easy to get stressed about something that's not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things. You can manage stress by putting some problems into perspective.

I will begin by reintroducing a daily exercise routine back into my life, I've forgotten how much I use to enjoy exercising and how effective exercising can be in reducing stress and getting back to the fundamentals seems like a good place to start.

I'm also going to implement the breathing exercise into the classroom before each quiz/exam that's administered – I think if “we” all participate together, this may not only reduce quiz anxiety but it may also bring a sense of cohesiveness to the group.

After introducing the two stress reducers as mentioned above I'll work on the mini-break stretch or jumping up and down routine just to break the day-to-day routine.

I agree with Paul – exercising to fit your needs and health condition is important, then progressing from the fundamentals to a more advance plan - I suppose when people begin to think that they don't have enough time for work related issues, they tend to put those issue before personal well-being.

The stressor that is dominant in my life is "spreading myself too thin". I have a tendency to take on additional responsibilities without taking in consideration how much I have on "my plate". I realize that this is a form of being implusive and not thinking before making additional committments.

I have already began a daily exercise plan which gives me an opportunity to be alone, release tension and reflect. Exercising has improved my decision making and allows me to think before taking everything on single handedly. I will also add deep breathing as a relaxation technique.

From the readings, I can tell that something that I need to work on is my rest. Since my schedule is variable (11:00 a.m. to 8:00p.m. or 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.), I have found myself having problems to get asleep and get the rest I need. Of course, I will wake up next morning tired and with no enthusiasm to front another day at college. Can anybody give me some ideas to establish a regular sleep schedule?

Talking about my problems has always been difficult for me. However, when pushed to do it I always feel better. My husband has a great sense of humor and we end up joking about my problems.
Another geat stress reliever for me is to go for a walk with my dog. Just being outside helps me let go og the day.

Although I may not be able to eliminate all of the stress factors in my life, I have learned to be less stressed by them. There's nothing like going to a golf driving range and hitting a bucket of balls, while imagining the face, or identity, of a stressor (the relentless boss flies really far; that nagging report lands in a sand trap).

I make sure my syllabus is very clear regarding the no test makeup policy. Of course, I do consider extreme circumstances.
I also try to exercise every day to help cope with my stressors.

I have found that exercise is essential for coping with stress. I had stopped both going to the gym after work and walking at lunch for several months and it had a negative effect on me both physically and emotionally because I eliminated my outlets.
Healthy outlets can not only eliminate stress but they can also lead to a better quality of life.
Because I work for a Chiropractic College I am fortunate enough to have students who are always promoting healthy lifestyles and good nutritional values. It inspires me to promote these sames values to my staff. Not only does it elimnate our individual stress but it has also elimated stress in our realationshps with each other by providing a common goal for the office.

I am intrigued with the idea of keeping a journal to "vent" frustrations. After 20 years I have picked up crocheting again and I try to do at least 1 row on a piece each night. I found that it relaxes me so that I sleep better. I am going to try and walk more often to give me some physical coping for stress.

I have found that exercise, mentally immersing myself in a hobby and occasionally playing a computer game can all be helpful when reducing stress. I try not to use just one thing so that it does not become too familiar.

Find a new route for traffic to where I teach at?
Exercise more
Continue to talk to my friends and family when I am feeling stressed, That has helped me the most.

I also agree with the exercise. Its a great stress reliver. I haven't heard anyone mention alone time. Spending time alone in a relaxing environment can bring alot of peace to your life. Maybe reading a good book, a massage or just praying and reflecting.
And let's face it girls.... a hot bath in the candlelight with a glass of your favorite beverage. Take your time and exfoliate, moisturize, pamper yourself a little bit. What a great way to unwind. Lock the door and tell everyone to leave you alone for half an hour. You deserve it.

Eliminate what I can and learn coping skills for what can not be eliminated

Sign In to comment