Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned to make sure you focus on the students needs before you begin advising.

Always ask open ended question to insure feedback..

Advising students is meant to be a learning opportunity. Sometimes students have the connotation that an advising always means they are in "trouble". Building a trusting relationship with students is very important, so that they can receive the feedback they are given and not always see it as punitive. 

Advising is crucial for helping students identify and overcome obstacles, ensuring their success in their chosen program by mapping out a clear path forward.

Advising students along their way is important to helping them stay on their path to success.

It is crucial to advise students so they know where they stand academic wise so they can come up with a plan to help themselves. 

Advising students is crucial for students to help achieve their goals for their current education and future goals. 

Advising students helps them figure out a correct path in how to achieve their goals as well. 

I help advise them on grades, attendance and help advise them for their long term goals. Like I have students who want to go to Vet School and I help them figure out ways to get there.

One should be careful with advising students and make sure we are within the school policies 

Advising students is a way of keeping the student on track, opening the doors for communication of obstacles, goal setting and constructive feedback.  Also provides a visual of their progress to make it a reality.

I can help advise students by developing skills and students to reflect and analyze new info.

Helping students problem solve (developmental advising) is generally preferred over prescriptive advising (just giving the answer).  

Advising is not to be taken lightly. This should be done very carefully to ensure they get the most out of their education.

Part of understanding life from the student's point of view is to have recent experiences and use those experiences to share as to want to do and what not to do. 

There are different approaches to student advising. It is important to go beyond what the student needs at that particular instant and provide guidance for personal, academic, and professional development.

We need to be able to listen to our students.  If they are asking a question, that we feel needs more attention; then we have a responsiablilty to get the anwers for the students.  If it is a personal question then find them the rescources that they need to help them.  Nothing is ever black and white, their always some gray area.

Many components go into advising students

I was challenged in my role for successful student advising. As per Crockston, the result will vary in degrees of learning by both the student and advisor however the student will need to take responsibility for his or her actions and decisions. 

When implementing developmental academic advising as an Instructor you must have an understanding of your students.

Difference between prescriptive and developmental advising.

Sign In to comment