Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Addressing students by their name gives them the impression that they are important and live up to that name. It is awkward to point or say "you" to the student because it makes them non-existent as a person. Knowing their name establishes rapport at once.

Teresita,
So true. Our name is one of the most valuable things we have and to have someone, like an instructor to recognize and use it means that I am someone special in the class. This is the human factor in education as well as a motivator for the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One technique that I use with students that are feeling like they want to quit is by asking them why they came to school. I usually get the typical response of for my kids, my wife or I want a better life. I tell them that no one will be able to take this knowledge away from them and all the people telling them they cant do it are just jealous. For them to remember how impressed their love ones will be on graduation day.

Anthony,
Good way to encourage them to stay in school and keep their focus on their future. They need to be encouraged to see the opportunities that will come their way upon graduation. For many students it is a matter of daily encouragement due to the external influences they face to drop out. Success requires effort to fail requires nothing.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to use work experiences-- of any type-- and relate it to the medical field. Almost everyone has had positive and negative moments with co-workers, managers, clients or professionals. An example of a working at a drive through at McDonalds can be used as an example of communication, teamwork and customer relations. Everyone can have imput.

Some techniques i use to retain students; stess the importance of every class and what is discussed, keep the material interesting, show my enthusiasm about the subject to lead by example, changing pace or class work when class is beginning to drag, making labs for subjects instead of lecture to make the material more tangible, and of course mentoring students who might be struggling to determine what can be done to help them.

I like to tell funny stories about situations in my field to show that the career they chose is not just work. The stories will come from the subject we are discussing.

Tara,
This is a great way to get everyone involved because as you say everyone has experiences upon which they can call if given the opportunity. The resulting sharing of these experiences reinforces the motivation of the students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Ryan,
I like your list of motivation techniques. They all contribute to student engagement as well as increase focus on the content being delivered. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Ryan,
Humor is a powerful teaching tool and when combined with application to the field you have a winning formula for helping the students to internally see the value of being in school and working toward their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One favorite motivational technique is having the student experience the moment. The moment is the "ah ha" and that to me is the foundation of layering motivation.

One effective motiviation technigue is to know the students...their names, their major, even a little about their family! I also like to offer a chance at a bonus point or two every day.

Andrew,
"Ah ha" moments are what most of us teachers live for. They are motivating not only for the students but for us as well because we get to share the moment of enlightenment with them.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Freda,
You have a very supportive and comfortable approach to your classroom and this is what students desire to have. Keep up the effort you are putting forth to connect with each of your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Field trips, discussions, real life scenarios in the work place.

Barbara,
All great ways to increase the motivation of students and help make the content more relevant to their lives.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

One technique that I have used for motivating students who prefer not to take test is to allow the other option of writing an article critique from a peer reviewed article. Or I have given them the opportunity to create a garbage art project in lieu of an exam. The ones that would take the garbage art project enjoyed their work and felt accomplished.

Yolanda,
Assessments can take many forms and you are offering a choice to your students. The key is to assess what they have learned in the course. How you do that is up to your professional judgement and expertise. Sounds like a fun final project.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I write a motivational quote on the board every morning to get them inspired and my students now look for them every day and talk about them.

Chandra,
I am a big fan of using motivational quotes. By taking a few seconds to review the quote you are setting the tone for a positive and engaging class session.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Sign In to comment