Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rather than just grading projects or lab work and returning it, going over the work and the problems they may have had and explaining the results is one good way. Ar method I like to use is to tie in labs to their personal lives. We need to do a sketch one day? I have them go home and sketch their living room an dbring it i n the next day. They are far more motivated to do something tied to their personal life rather than a mock project.

You need to know what makes your students tick. I believe the most powerful motivational technique is getting to know your students. This way you can draw from their life experiences scenarios which relate to the course material. This has been a proven technique for me. Another related technique is to pose the question " Who has experienced something like this". It works every time. Again drawing on the students background.

Jeffrey,
Like this method because of the way you personalize this for them. You are connecting the dots between classroom and real life.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Ed,
Two great questions to get students contributing to the discussion because in almost every class there will at least one student that has such an experience or knows something about the topic. Thanks for sharing this strategy.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I believe if we encourage students to provide their own motivation for getting things done rather than relying on us to motivate them makes a huge difference.

Ronald,
This does have a big impact on students because it helps them to personalize the content to themselves and their career goals.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

So true, Career Goals helps us set priorities and stay motivated. Achieving these goals gives us a sense of ownership and pride. They help us recognize our strengths, and areas that need further development.

positive reinforcement sharing experiences and active student class participation and keys to success.

Ronald,
These are powerful motivators because as we reach goals along the way that move us closer to our career we start to see the value of what we are studying and the skills we are developing. We need to remember this when we work with our students and contribute to their progress on their career path.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Providing a positive learning environment is the leading contributor to motivating students to achieve their highest goals. Students need a positive support system even through times of difficulties, or especially through times of difficulties. Motivational speakers such as past graduates are also great assets to empower our students to achieve their own level of excellence.

Looking at everything they have done right when they are wiring up boards and then talking about what was wired inccorectly. Always looking at the strenght of the student, and adding too it. Class size is large and students want to tell me why they did what they did inccortly, I feel it takes up over all time, too work the class. I want to help all but there is a room full. How would you handle this?

One thing I do is put gold stars or motivational stickers on my student's work.
You might think that doing this in college is a bit puerile--but those students work hard to see that big gold star on their essay when they get it back.

Paul,
Adults like reinforcement and encouragement. I teach approximately 500 graduate and undergraduate students a semester at a major land grant university. I know after having done this for many years that adults are just taller children. They do like stickers as well a treat now and then for a job well done.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

When I had back an assessment I will go over the assesment with the students and open the floor to any questions. I go over the questions and re-enforce the answers with explanitions. I also have students answer the questions presented in forum type of enviroment.

Hugh,
This is a great way to use the assessment as a learning tool beyond just quizzing them through the answers they give. They get to talk about the assessment and discuss what the answers are and why they are the correct answers.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

An effective motivational technique I use is when discussing a topic being covered with the students I listen to their take on it. I like to state "great observation" and you "definitely got it." This allows the student to be part of the lesson and gives them confidence that what they have to say is important to me.

Jennifer,
Good way to support their input and to encourage them to be a part of the discussion process. This method helps them to build their self confidence in relation to success in the class.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Using real life examples and especially current events as demonstrating the discussed topic tends to keep the students motivated.

James,
Students as you have noticed really perk up when you share a story or example with them. These stories and examples increase the value of the course content because they show both application and relevance to what is being offered.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I absolutely agree. The attitude and motivation level in the students can be a direct reflection of what we bring into class that day.

Sign In to comment