Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a VN clinical instructor, I motivate my students by giving them positive feedback after performing a skill. If I have students who are weak at performing a skill, I motivate them by telling them " you can do this! you done it in skills lab." I let them perform the skill at clinical and if they have some areas they need to improve in, I find another patient who needs that skill to be done and let my student perform it again. By doing this, my student gets motivated to improve, and builds self-esteem.

DOUNIADEH,
Your support of the learning efforts of your students is to be commended. This is how they build confidence while gaining in skill development. Keep up these most important ways of providing motivation to and for your students.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

What I will occasionally do for motivation for the students and myself is to find companies that are great places to work and are developing new technologies. I will display an article on the projector about the company and show the students what they could possibly be doing in the future. I will then show them that the companies need people with the knowledge they are acquiring and they too could work there if they continue to work hard. Google is a great example for motivation.

I agree with this post also. When I see/hear the excitement in the students I'm more motivated in doing more to get them stimulated.

share any of your personal experience related to the topic or a story to derive the aim of the lesson as motivation.

Darryl,
Great way to make your content come alive for your students while giving value to it as well. This is what will help sell your content to your students. You are giving them a glimpse on what is waiting for them upon graduation and this is a great motivator as you say.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I sometimes have specific activities that are related to the course; however, they don't necessarily get a grade...it is a method for them to use the skills taught in the lecture and see the application. I then meet with them individually and go over their work. If I see a common thread throughout the students' work, I then specifically take time to address a "common" issue they had.

Taking their input into consideration when it comes to handouts/tests. Involving them in the teaching process. I hand back tests and we grade them together this way we can discuss the tests results also.

Rewarding students is an effective form of motivation for students.

Telling them they will do well and give them advice on how they will excel in there filed.

Termila,
What are some successful strategies you have used to reward and motivate your students? Thanks for your input on this.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think each student needs to be recognized for their strengths. I do things like give awards. I also split them into teams and play games that relate to the subject matter. If their team wins, they receive a prize, such as candy or something small. They love to play educational games. That is when I see them the most excited.

Pari,
Adults are just taller children. My students love to play games and be competitive when it comes to showing off what they know. Winning prizes such as candy goes a long way in establishing a positive and supportive learning environment for students. So keep up the good works and the handing out of prizes.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I enjoy sharing with my students feedback that I have received from clinical sites, other instructors, or from other students. I try to recognize every student's success and share with the class.

Candy,
This type of reinforcement as you know really increases the value the students place on the course and how it is helping them move closer to their career goals. The real life stories show both application and relevance which increases student motivation and excitement.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I like to tailor support for students by making as much time as possible to talk to them individually about their progress. I schedule conferences outside of class time, encourage students to use my office hours, and also - especially as exams loom or assignments fall due - I schedule time in class for student workshops - group feedback - and also in-class meetings (available during the in-class writing period).

Feedback is very important to student motivation and success. Having the opportunity to directly guide a student can impact their education immensely.

We do Mid Point evaluations so students can self reflect on current grades and attendnace.

Gina,
I like this format because it helps students to see where they are at and what they need to do to continue their success or change in order to be more successful. By doing it at mid point you are helping them have this information before it is too late to remedy.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Daily motivational quotes on the board.
Small rewards such as completion certificates.
Positive reinforcement during good performance.

Sign In to comment