Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Praise, extra points or extra effort, encourage sharing of experiences. Well planned learning experiences (simulations etc.) also motivate students to do well.

I have found direct one to one reinforcement can be a highly effective motivator. I have used face to face as well as email feedback in the hopes of offering encouragement for good work, effort or improvement.

allowing them to demonstrate there own success in other words guide them thru a diagnostic scenario but be sure not to demonstrate just guide and when the diagnosis is complete and the repair validates the diagnosis then confidence builds

if the instructor is excited about the courses he is teaching that will motivate the students

if the instructor is excited about the courses he is teaching that will motivate the students

I am a highly motivated instructor, and I find that because I am that way, my students are as well. I provide constant "authentic" motivation. I do, however, notice that when I am not up to par, less than dynamic, or simply not feeling my best, it shows in the classroom. The lackluster student attitudes find a way to surface.

@petfixer27 :  Encouraging students to contribute from their own experiences certainly can motivate them and increase engagement in learning.  I also reinforce the relevance of that day's topic to the overall goal of being a nurse.  Why does a nurse need this piece of information?  How does this skill/theory content/professional behavior impact good nursing?  Sometimes it is easy to get lost in the details and bringing it back to the broad goal is useful. 

I always try to allow the students some choices in their project work and assignments.  I also allow them to decide when they want to take a test on an exam day:  beginning, middle, or end of class.  I have very small classes so this is easy to do without too much extra work on my part.

I agree I allow students to decorate the cover of a project. Fo example, if a studnt likes dogs, I encourage them to put dogs on the cover of the project.

@cstevens

@carmenmilagros@freddieblackmon

These contributions sound like an asset that could be quite beneficial to the students in their future endeavors.

@sspence

I like this approach. Often I think students don't realize that others have gone through what they are trying to accomplish and know the difficulty they are facing.

My class is 80% lab so I have a lot of time to observe students when
they are hands on and I have found that a very good way to give them helpful
hints about the task that the student is doing is to just be available and
approachable. Walking around the lab and asking questions to students about the
task will provoke questions from the student. I'll start the conversation by
asking a simple question about what they are doing and most time it becomes a
learning situation for the student at the end. It makes the students feel like
you care and that they can ask any questions they have.

@sspence I agree, I often use stories of people I know or personal stories to relate a lesson to the students in an attempt to comesurate with them temporarily while keeping them motivated to overcome their obstacles.

Sign In to comment